• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover clicking?

thats the weirdst post i have ever read. i never post on this forum but use CF and JP everyday and i have never of 8 years owning jeeps heard that. you say its inside the engine. not around it or anything like that. my mothers jetta has this box inline of her upper rad hose with some wires running to it that clicks just like that for a few minutes after the engine is off.

metal contraction ... either the heat shield over the manifold or around the engine mounts ... may aslo be the Valve Cover itself.

That's just metal contraction. If you open up the hood and put a fan on it does it happen any faster?

It's the aluminum heat shield that covers the exhaust manifold, there's variable expansion (and contraction) between the steel pipes and the aluminum shield.

If you're worried it could be a problem, I would check the bottom of your exhaust manifold and look for cracking (you can do this from underneath using a cosmetics mirror).

Also, mine is a 1990 renix XJ, does the same thing, the rate and the amount of noise depends mostly on how moist/cool the air is.

The sound just came up.
I installed an oEM exhaust manifold early this year.
The popping I know for the manifold is less consistent. This sounds like some type of leak. Might be the metal contracting, but it seems weird given that it just happened and I've never heard this sound even when the manifold was cracked.

if you've done a new manifold this year i'd put my money on something being loose there, did you re-torque the nuts holding the manifolds to the head after 1000 miles or so? everything needs to heat cycle a few times then be re-torqued down otherwise it will loosen back up.

no prob, hope that helps. I've always done it, I used to have problems with small block chevys all the time with the header bolts coming loose after a few thousand miles. now I just retorque everything after its been heated and cooled a few times and no more problems.

Again, the perfect situation for a piece of vinyl tubing/rubber hose about 3' long.

Stick one end in a good ear, then move the other end around the engine until you can isolate the sound source.

Back