• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced headlight switch, knob won't stay in

Caner.

NAXJA Forum User
So I replaced my headlight switch a couple days ago because the knob became loose and eventually came out while I was turning on the lights.

Now my issue is, when the nut is not in place, the knob will fit perfectly in the new switch, lights will work and everything. Although when I place the nut to stick the switch against the trim and try to put in the knob, it doesn't stay in. I was thinking maybe because of the nut the space is now too big and therefore the knob can't reach the end, but this doesn't make sense since it's basically the same exact thing as before.

Any ideas or help is appreciated!

Thanks!

It's a 1996
DprIRNy.png

Are you depressing the button on the bottom of the switch when you insert the knob shaft? Mine would not fully engage until I inserted it with that button depressed, then once fully inserted, release button.

I tried with the button pressed and not pressed. When I put the knob in without the nut, I do not need to press the button in order to get it in properly, I slide it in and then when I pull, it works fine.

You may have a wire behind the dash keeping the switch from fully seating.

Note that the dash hole for the headlight switch is keyed and a metal tab on the switch needs to align with the keyed hole properly or you won't be able to get the bolt tight enough to install the knob. Loosen the bolt a little and spin the headlight switch to see if it seats better.

I got same problem did you ever fix that how did you fix that

I had the same problem.. sent that one back and got a different brand.. same issue.. what worked is pushing it in/out like 100 times and it finally caught.. Definition of insanity, but it worked. Your mileage may vary.

Try lubing the switch shaft with something non-conductive
like WD-40 or dielectric grease.

Back