• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ driver's side rear axle

buytick

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ 4.0L automatic Sport. I need to replace my driver's side rear axle and was wondering how much should that job cost me? I guess I should replace the bearing as well. I had the wheels road balanced to find a vibration and discovered the axle was bent.

I live in northern NJ, if anyone knows a reasonable shop or individual who would do the job for me.

Thanks

The job is not difficult. You could buy the parts and the necessary tools and still save money over having a shop do the work.

I have a 97 XJ 4.0L automatic Sport. I need to replace my driver's side rear axle and was wondering how much should that job cost me? I guess I should replace the bearing as well. I had the wheels road balanced to find a vibration and discovered the axle was bent.

I live in northern NJ, if anyone knows a reasonable shop or individual who would do the job for me.

Thanks

Have a Junior College or automotive high school near you? Many will do jobs for a small fee if they are currently studying a particular subject area.

Thanks

Its probably $200 for the axle shaft, $20 for the bearing, and $120 for the install - maybe round it up to $400 at shop prices because they'll probably include gear oil, gasket, etc.

Back