• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interchange of different door lock cylinders?

bigalpha

I'm replacing the door on my 91 with a door from an 89. I pulled the lock from the 91 so I could swap the guts into the 89 but the cylinders look totally different.

Will I be able to swap the guts from an 91 to an 89 and have it work properly?

Lock cylinders are different. I know the striker plate changed but I want to say that was later than 1991. As long as the latch looks the same I don't see why you won't be able to swap over.

I highly doubt they made major changes to the door shell until they changed the striker from the single stud to the wire loop.

I'm replacing the door on my 91 with a door from an 89. I pulled the lock from the 91 so I could swap the guts into the 89 but the cylinders look totally different.

Will I be able to swap the guts from an 91 to an 89 and have it work properly?

I went the other way and installed a set of '94 cylinders in a '90. The hole for the '90 was actually bigger. The cylinders fit but I had to fabricate a washer to sit between the cylinder and the door. The rest of the hardware works but going from new to old, you need to confirm that the cylinder will fit in the hole.

HTH
Todd

I know the key styles are totally different, so I probably can't rekey the 89 cylinder to fit a later key, huh?

XJs had GM keys and cylinders sometime around pre 90. Not sure when the changeover occurred. But after the changeover, they were likely using chrysler keys, maybe even the double edged type (i've never really seen it). Totally different guts, and can't be swapped. I've tried using post 90 parts to fix my pre 90 cylinder and it was a no go.

Back