• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water/seafoam treatment, different kind of question(I swear lol)

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I've done the seafoam method before through the brake vacuum line as many threads have stated, well this time in doing water because of what cruiser54 says(he knows his stuff lol) but I started thinking about the vacuum line, I realize that it is farther back on the engine where it connects to the manifold, so clearly water or seafoam will get to the back cylinders, but what about the front cylinders? Does the placement of the vacuum line determine where the liquids will go? I would like to use the throttle body since it is in the middle but I have heard bad things happen to the tps and iac from pouring water or seafoam down the throttle body. Am I exaggerating to much on the vacuum line or not?

SeaFoam goes in the gas tank. If you think there may be carbon build-up that would be removed by water vapor, use a spray bottle to spray a little mist into the intake.

Introducing any liquids into the intake, by any method, is not a good idea.

So your wanting to add water to the seafoam???? I have never heard of that before....I just recently did the seafoam on the intake systeam....

He means water instead of seafoam. Through the intake via vacuum.

I've done many variations through the years. Before seafoam was so common up here it was water and ATF ... Use a manifold nipple, brake booster is good, I like to use a spare port off the vacuum tree. Smaller hose, and I dip it and let it draw until it starts to stumble.

Results are all about the same, busts up carbon, big clouds of smoke for a few minutes. Just don't toss any water in the gas tank. :rolleyes:

FYI don't do this in your garage. Lol.

Lol you guys make me laugh, trust me I won't do this in a garage lol but the question I'm asking is does the bake vacuum line actually disperse the water OR seafoam up towards the front cylinders as well as the rear cylinders on the motor? I know pouring from the middle(the throttle body) gas/air/liquid is going to be dispersed equally ish to all six cylinders but knowing that the vacuum line for the brake is towards the rear near the 5th and 6th cylinder, I'm starting to wonder if the method of doing seafoam or water is actually making its way towards the 1st and 2nd cylinders

It does. I always use the brake booster line because vacuum seams greater there. Plus the line is larger and its easier to get it in. I don't think the smaller lines will pull enough to stall the engine which is what you want.

yep, they do ... no worries there.

if you don't like the booster line just use one more central.

With the professional system that I use @ work, it says to use as centrally located a vacuum port as possible (read as close to throttle body as you can).

Yes, the closer to 5&6 you tap in, the more goes to those cyl.

As long as you don't flood them with chem/water in process, there shouldn't be a problem with the other cyls. They'll just take longer to clean. Our system has a ball valve inline to restrict flow for situations like this.

Last edited:
With the professional system that I use @ work, it says to use as centrally located a vacuum port as possible (read as close to throttle body as you can).

Yes, the closer to 5&6 you tap in, the more goes to those cyl.

As long as you don't flood them with chem/water in process, there shouldn't be a problem with the other cyls. They'll just take longer to clean. Our system has a ball valve inline to restrict flow for situations like this.

That's what I was thinking. Might and try and use one of the ports closer to the middle then or open one of the ports near the 1st and 2nd cylinder to use as a line. Or stop over thinking it lol

Just do it through the throttle body.

Pretty easy.
Get a cup of water, preferably something like a Dixie cup.
With the air cleaner off, hold the engine RPM at 2000 RPM or higher and dribble the water from the Dixie cup, which you've pinched to look like a spout on top, into the carb or throttle body. Go slowly and the engine will bog a bit. Stop and let it recover. Repeat until the cup is empty.

old school, but effective.

never had water or chemical damage an IAC or TPS. Maybe if you stuck a pressure washer in there.

That's probably somewhere along the lines i was thinking lol I've seen garden hose sprayers used in videos and talked about and kept thinking that through the throttle body, doing that method my water damage the iac or tps. Ill try cruisers method with the Dixie cup, what kind of Dixie cup should I use? Mickey Mouse or goofy? Lol

That's probably somewhere along the lines i was thinking lol I've seen garden hose sprayers used in videos and talked about and kept thinking that through the throttle body, doing that method my water damage the iac or tps. Ill try cruisers method with the Dixie cup, what kind of Dixie cup should I use? Mickey Mouse or goofy? Lol

Knowing you--Goofy. LOL.

Back