• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What quick disconnect tool for trans cooler lines?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
None of mine work... have "Lisle" brand set of plastic things, also a cheap HF set, and just bought a "Powerbuilt" (Carquest) fancy looking 3/8" tool for $12 for just one tool... this one damn line is keeping me from removing my radiator... "quick disconnect" really?

Can someone tell me what brand QD tool actually works on these bloody things? Preferably one that I can buy today?

I used the cheapo plastic tool on a few radiators, the hoses sometimes get stuck, so what I do is push the hose further on, slide the tool into place and then twist and yank on the hose till it breaks free.

Problem I'm having is none of the tools I have have a large enough OD to release the clips... I'm trying on the one below the fan where I can see the problem. I'm just getting frustrated and pissed off right now... no room on the one that really needs to come apart to use anything but the tool (if it were the other one I'd just use a small screwdriver)

I had the same problem. Ended up cutting the line and using hose clamps. Makes it easier to flush the trans in the future. Just make sure to clean any metal shavings while the rad is out.

Well, since I was installing a new rad I called the shop and had one of the mechanics send me pics of the new rad (shop owner is my friend, he's dropping it off to me this evening after work) looked like the new rad had the male end of the QD on it so I just hacksawed the one on the old rad in half, pulled the rad, and then I could turn the hose up so I could look in it... finagled the stub of the old male end out by wiggling the QD tool around while pulling on the stub with Channellocks.

I'd still like to know how the (expletive deleted) to do this in the car without destroying anything, in case I have to someday.

I know right. I tried so many times in the past with no luck. I'm sure its possible but I just cut them if I can't get it in a couple tries. Ive never had a problem with the hose clamps. FWIW.

The quick disconnect lines on the tranny cooler part of the radiator, seem to never want to work with the QD tool. I usually just get the radiator loose from it's mounts, then raise it to where I can see better, and work the spring clips inside the line with a pocket screwdriver. That has always worked, but still takes a little time.

They always stick. I've had mixed results with my K-D 3/8 - 5/16 fuel line disconnect tool.

I ended up cutting the crimp off of the other end and using hose clamps.

Back