• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hole in rear Frame ... how bad is it?

Miller88

NAXJA Forum User
So, I pulled my hitch off to repaint the frame. The picture makes it look much worse that it really is. The rust on the bottom of the frame rail is from the hitch, but held in place by the grease I put on top of the hitch when installing.

Rest of the rear frame is extremely solid.

however, where the heat shield hangs it managed to scratch paint off and cause a hole in the frame.

Anyone have any suggestions for fixing this?

1376062_719672066273_1491920307_n.jpg

Uh... is that a crack in the frame I see?

Rather than grease, I like to use roofing tar where two pieces of metal are bolted together underneath the vehicle.

2nd that question, that might be a job for a pro welder if that is a crack

If you can get in there with a grinder and clean it up you might get a better idea of how bad it is. I would get that welded asap especially if that is a big crack.

I don't see a crack :eek:

Where should I be looking for a crack?

I cleaned it up with a wire brush and repainted it all last weekend. Aside from the hole on the bottom, the sides don't have any rust on them at all and are still solid.

How hard is it to patch the hole in the bottom?

In the pic, there appears to be a crack along the inside of frame rail directly above where your hole is. I think this is what people are keying on.

Also that hole might be supposed to be there... do a search for JCR nut strips and have a look at the hole positions. I'm pretty sure that my trailer hitch did not use all available holes and also that I had to drill holes in my (factory) skidplate because my trailer hitch used holes that the factory skid didn't.

It wasn't there when I put the hitch on 2 years ago :(

I am ordering the JCR ones in the spring. I like the ease of install with the curt hitch but they dont seem to be as good of an idea.

odd, I'm using a Curt hitch too (with the JCR nutstrips and 1/2" bolts)

Had I to do it over again I would have got a different hitch though. It's cheap 'n' beefy but I don't like the way the receiver hangs below the crossbar. I do have a Rigid rear bumper that I want to put on but I need to find a good welder to modify it for me... apparently I have a weird gas tank/rear skid setup and I don't have clearance behind the rear panel for one of the pieces, and I don't like the idea of forcing something up in there so it's rubbing against a plastic tank.

Back