• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tail light issues

cody4359

NAXJA Forum User
The tail lights on the jeep quit working. I have no tail lights, rear blinkers or cautions. The running lights work as well as the reverse lights.

I have checked fuses, bulbs, and the ground behind the driver tail light. Can a bad brake switch cause no rear blinkers? What else can i look for?

A friend had a bad blinker assembly switch that made his not work.We found it by playing with the blinker arm with the key turned on with our foot on brake pedal. Try that to see if the switch is bad.His was cracked.

Were his blinker not working, or did it cause no blinkers or tail lights? The only thing i did was put that upper cover on the steering colum.

And no, it doesnt have a factory trailer light converter box. The swap was half assed, behind the drivers B Pilliar, they spliced in some shucks trailer light converter thingy to go from the 97+ harness to mj tail lights.

Hmmm ill look into it. This is the fine wiring job i get to work with. It is buldged in the middle?
u2y4uja8.jpg

I bet that is your problem... take it out & check your fuses. Oddly enough the very first one of these I ever saw fail was on a Cherokee, back when you could still buy them new.

I put in a new blinker switch from the stealership, that did nothing.

Replaced the goofy trailer light converter. I now have right rear blinker and tail light. The left is hardl visible by looking at the bulb alone. Something is wrong because the new plug already has a small bubble in it and get hot.

I do not know what this last plug is. It gets hot as well, and is charred kinda. When i unplug it, i still have parking lights, but no passanger blinker or tail light. Anybody know what this is called?
emevaby9.jpg

just eliminate the trailer light converter completely until you figure this out...

or are you not using the factory taillights, and that's what teh converter is doing?

I don't know what that other thing is, where did you find it?

just eliminate the trailer light converter completely until you figure this out...

or are you not using the factory taillights, and that's what teh converter is doing?

I don't know what that other thing is, where did you find it?
Thats what I would do....and good question.... location may help with diagnosis.

There is a short somewhere and that little converter is the weak link, i prefer to have smoked that then the entire harness. I was all excited to get it going, but screw it. Someone will buy it as is or itll sit for another year or so til i find a new donor harness.

Back