• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

could the rer end really be "bent"?

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a jeep that had a bastard lift under it. The front springs just wouldn't set correctly on the perches. I bought a set of RE1310 springs from amazon (4.5 Inch lift) and took it down to be aligned. The front end from what I understand aligned very well. The rear end I was told was out a lot and because it is a solid rear end, there is nothing they could do about it. It drives well. Goes straight with no pull or anything crazy at any time. The guy at Conrad's told me that it needs to be corrected or it could do damage to the jeep. What would cause this? How do I fish this? Any thoughts? Thanks everyone!

Oh, I would like to mention that Conrad's told me that it was probably because the Dana 35 is bent. I believe that I have a Chrysler 8.25 though.

i doubt its bent. that would put your camber or toe angles way out of wack depending on which way it is bent.

the thrust angle is only adjustable by modifying the spring perches. its not going to hurt a thing, itll just make the jeep kind of "crab" down the road. with that number, its likely not even noticeable. your talking less than a degree.

run it.

thanks nowavesi! That is kind of what i was planning on. I just figured i'd like to get some opinions from other fellow jeepers out there! Maybe here about there experiences as well.

you're more likley to have a bent wheel or axle flange with the wheel being the most likley.

Looked again ... and the camber on the front axle is out on one side ... that points to bent inner C's on one side as the most likely culprit there.

Last edited:
you're more likley to have a bent wheel or axle flange with the wheel being the most likley.

Looked again ... and the camber on the front axle is out on one side ... that points to bent inner C's on one side as the most likely culprit there.

Inner C's?? What do you mean by inner C's. Is that something that is easy to fix? So, because something is wrong with the front, that'll make my rear axle be out of alignment?

Thrust angle is just the direction the rear wheels will try and push you (AKA it is at right angles to the rear axle) and is not adjustable. It'll change slightly depending on which side of the jeep is sagging lower/lifted more, especially if the leafs aren't made by the same company or something, and also will change if the unibody is bent. Not much you can do about it, and the amount you have, I wouldn't even care especially if you don't notice it while driving.

One rear tire or the other being slightly underinflated will probably make it crab more noticeably than the thrust angle being off by that amount.

everything is very easily ignored. It has probably been this way for years. I guess if anything goes wrong I will be back on here looking for help again. Thank you for all of the quick responses.

Having just installed a dakota rear axle, I could see there being a little axle movement possible if I loosened the u-bolts and had a helper push on one side while I pulled on the opposite. I don't know if you could take -.65* out of the passenger side(push forward) and shift the +.65* to the driver's side (pull backwards) and then have both sides be an equal +.20*, but it might be worth a shot. The play comes from the locating tabs/bolts on the leaf springs and the holes on the axle perches.

Take a look at the locating pins on the leaf packs and the locating holes on the spring perches. My passenger side locating hole is a little mangled and the pin is pushed back farther than it should be by 1/4" or so. Its definitely noticeable since it makes the Jeep crab down the road with a slight pull to the right, but its completely driveable and not annoying enough to pull it apart and fix it yet.

I have had a couple vehicles that the rear end would never zero out on alignment. Usually its caused by sliding sideways in bad weather and hitting a curb. Either the wheel is bent or a axle shaft is tweaked. As long as its almost perfect you won't notice the difference. Drive it!

When I had my lifted XJ on 33s aligned and checked a while back my numbers were farther out and I noticed nothing. Tires wore even and the jeep didn't wander on the road at all. You're good, just run it. Plus I'd be willing to bet if you went back another day and checked it again the numbers would change. Hehehe, part of owning jeep!

Back