• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Backup Plan?

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
6 years ago the stock fuel pump on my 92 4.0 cherokee started giving up so I had to replace it with a new fuel pump assembly. With no real research for which brand to get I ended up putting an airtex assembly in the tank. It held up good but finally after six years it went out last weekend. At military school I am in no position to work on my jeep and need it to travel 3+ hours home and to other schools. After talking to the mechanic when picking my jeep up I learned he replaced it with another airtex which is a slap to my face but I'm over that. After looking around online airtex is about the only assembly I could find available.

What are you guys doing for fuel pumps? While I would like this new airtex to go another 6 years I am not going to hold my breath. Should I just go to a junk yard and pull a fuel pump assembly out, test it, and keep it in my jeep for plan b so I don't get stranded on the road again? Haven't really thought if going to the dealership, I just want to hear what has held up the best for everyone on here.

TIA Nick

If you're in no position to work on your Jeep, I'm not sure what good carrying a back-up fuel pump would do. Also, unless you're lifted, it probably isn't a repair you'll want to perform on the side of the highway.

That being said, if you want to carry a spare, I'd go with a bosch...seems most on here would agree it's a quality part and much better reliability than the airtex.

My first choice is Bosch. My second choice is Carter. I don't have a third choice.

I won't recommend nor will I install Airtex fuel pumps in the XJ.

Couldn't find a Bosch fuel pump assembly. I checked rock auto, napa, quadratec, Morris4x4. And I can't work on my jeep 90% of the time but I am more than capable swapping a fuel pump assembly on the side of the highway or trail if I was prepared with a spare assembly.

Don't bother with a whole assembly, swapping the pump itself on the assembly is only like 2 screws and a hoseclamp.

Carry a spare pump, spare sock, and spare locking ring + Oring set (Spectra Premium Lo01, $3 on rockauto.com) plus the tools to swap it and you are golden.

edit: rockauto also carries the appropriate Bosch pump for around $60.

So I can expect to replace a faulty pump from an airtex assembly with a bosch pump and be good to go?

Re: Re: Fuel Pump Backup Plan?

So I can expect to replace a faulty pump from an airtex assembly with a bosch pump and be good to go?

I just had to replace my screaming loud airtex pump. I could not find a whole new assembly from Bosch. I ordered just a new bosch pump. It would NOT transplant into the airtex assembly, the top piece that clamps down had a different opening that would not work with the bosch one. Luckily, i still had the stock assembly (although it leaked through the wires... I had to silicone it)

I just had to replace my screaming loud airtex pump. I could not find a whole new assembly from Bosch. I ordered just a new bosch pump. It would NOT transplant into the airtex assembly, the top piece that clamps down had a different opening that would not work with the bosch one. Luckily, i still had the stock assembly (although it leaked through the wires... I had to silicone it)

:doh:

Back