• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ D30 to WJ knuckle question

sardo_67

NAXJA Forum User
i went to put the rotor and caliper on my d30 with the WJ knuckle and it wouldn't work, i had to space the caliper bracket out about 1/4in, i have the correct spacer welded on and re-drilled rotors.

am i supposed to space the brake too?

8BFB779F-F67A-4086-B9F4-D804961DADD5-7200-0000063A7362447C_zps1329456b.jpg

what year hub? Using a '00 up XJ/TJ hub, with stock WJ rotor and caliper works. If you are using the earlier hub then you'll have issues with rotor/caliper spacing.

what year hub? Using a '00 up XJ/TJ hub, with stock WJ rotor and caliper works. If you are using the earlier hub then you'll have issues with rotor/caliper spacing.

BAM!! i think that's it. these hubs i think are from my brothers 96 XJ or what ever he had laying around, i pulled them off a few random axles.

so i need a LP D30 hub basically?

yep, they have a different spacing to the rotor. I'm using stock '00 XJ hubs, '00 WJ rotors and '00 WJ Teeves calipers and it all spaces fine.

Correct, I used 03 TJ hubs, 03 WJ rotors(drilled to XJ pattern) and 03 Akebono calibers with the JKS spacer plate and the parts all lined up just fine.

As long as we are discussing the differences between XJ and WJ knuckles, I would like to know if there the WJ knuckles are the same dimensions to where the TREs mount.
I have a custom steering system that has plates that tie in at 2 of the unit bearing bolts and uses the original TRE mount location as an anchor point, but relocates the drag link and tie rod up, forward and inward slightly to clear the diff and wheels. I would like to upgrade the brakes, but not if I couldn't use the steering.

it won't work, the TRE's mount at different heights, that part of the knuckles are nothing alike.

BAM!! i think that's it. these hubs i think are from my brothers 96 XJ or what ever he had laying around, i pulled them off a few random axles.

so i need a LP D30 hub basically?

Well, technically later-99 and up hubs. Basically, the ones with the taller "lip" So, definitely 00+XJ, or TJ which should be the same.

I used 2001 TJ hubs , WJ knuckles, , WJ rotors already drilled from IRO, centric premium calipers and pads and brackets, and the JKS weld on spacers. it was extremely awesome braking. ran stock style steering/trackbar (all currie stuff) with driver side OTK, never ran sway bars, and note that the WJ knuckles sit 3/4" lower for the TRE mounting points so the OTK helps on the driver side.

Wait you only put the upper TRE over the knuckle on the pass side?

I am looking at doing that but I'll need to see how my track bar sits first.

If you get a reamer or tapered inserts you might as well run it all otk. That's how I did my wj swap. Works great. But when you go ota with the trackbar, your draglink may have clearance issues with the trackbar bracket.

Wait you only put the upper TRE over the knuckle on the pass side?

I am looking at doing that but I'll need to see how my track bar sits first.

No. I said in my response stock style steering (all currie stuff) and driver side OTK with a goferit insert . That implies that I was NOT using the pass side high steer arm. In a nutshell you can run the stock style steering on the WJ knuckles no problem. made the swap really fast and easy. it just sits 3/4" lower. thats it. Go OTK on the driver side and its still outta the way.

No. I said in my response stock style steering (all currie stuff) and driver side OTK with a goferit insert . That implies that I was NOT using the pass side high steer arm. In a nutshell you can run the stock style steering on the WJ knuckles no problem. made the swap really fast and easy. it just sits 3/4" lower. thats it. Go OTK on the driver side and its still outta the way.
Do you happen to have any pics of the setup you ran? I am curious to see the angles on the Jeep.

This could be the route I go.

I think in my build thread in the Sierra chapter. might take a while to find it though. go ahead and search through there.

Back