• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion bearing part orientation

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I have some questions about the orientation of the parts associated with the pinion gear. Heres 2 pictures of what I have now.

Not that those really help. But whatever.

What order do all these parts go in? Im not sure that they have been set up properly, and it all fell apart when I pulled it out.

From the front of the pinion gear to the threaded portion where the yoke goes, this is what I have:

Oil slinger
Pinion depth shims
Bearing
Bearing race
weird spacer thing (inner)
pinion preload shims
weird spacer thing (outer)
bearing race
bearing (outer)

Now, I am confused as I always thought the pinion preload shims went on the outermost part of the bearing, between the yoke and the beargin But then again, I've never dealt with these shenanagins before so I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong.

Can anybody help me put these parts in the correct order? I have looked up diagrams online but they either don't label all the parts, are hard to read, or just don't make logical sense..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

the way you have them stacked is almost correct. the slinger (outer weird spacer thing) under the outer bearing sits on the opposite side , protecting the seal from too much oil. It is sandwiched between the outer bearing cone and the yoke, between the bearing and seal.

The "weird inner spacer thing" is an oil dam, used in high pinion diffs, keeping oil in the outer pinion bearing longer.

the pre-load shims are correct. they effectually space the bearings apart from each other to limit the clamping force the pinion nut has on them. This is where you adjust pre-load.

Great, thanks. Does the orientation if said spacers matter? Can one be installed backwards?

I don't know if multiple setups were available but the d30s I have set up (87 YJ high pinion and a 90s XJ high pinion) had the pinion depth shims in between the inner bearing race and the housing, not between the inner bearing cone and the slinger. They were right next to that odd oil baffle you have, which you need to make sure to put in facing the right direction, and you need to take its thickness into account when computing final depth shim pack. They always seem to get mangled unless you have megabucks in setup tools/seal and bearing drivers for that specific diameter so I just buy a new one every time and only install it when I'm doing the final setup, subtracting its thickness from the depth shim stack I've arrived at.

Back