• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for old thread/ hub info

Warlock1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm looking for an old thread or info. I've been searching on and off for the last couple of weeks with no luck. The old thread's title was something like "WJ upgrade done the correct way", at least I think that was the title, for all I know it might have been something else. I'm not necessarily looking for the thread as much as the info it contained. It had all three types of the XJ front unit bearings side by side with pics and the specs and measurements such as how far the outer axle goes into the hub as compared to the mounting surface where it bolts onto the knuckle as compared to the wheel mountig flange and stuff like that. Can anyone remember or can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Last edited:
It is my understanding that the correct way to do it regardless of unit bearing used is to DIY spacers or buy from JKS and weld them to the knuckle. If you want 5x5 use WJ knuckle. If you want to keep 5x4.5 use the TJ unit bearings.

Yes, I understand that, thank you. I'm after something else, I'm experimenting. That's why I need the specs in relation to each other, not the WJ info.

I think that thread was deleted, which is a shame because it did have good info in it.

that would actually be 1999.5+ ... the third gen hub assembly started in the latter half of the 99 model year. It's just easier to say 2000+

I ran 2001 TJ unit bearings and redrilled WJ rotors from IRO. Thats it. and buy the JKS weld on spacers.

Wow. Ok, thanks guys for all of the WJ info, but like I said in my original post and post #3 above, I'm not looking for the WJ info, I'm looking for the info on the hubs/unit bearings. But I appreciate all the good intentions.

To be a little more specific, I'm looking for the specs/measurements for the '84-'89 hubs and the '99.5-'02 hubs. I know that the earlier hubs used much stronger roller bearings as opposed to the later hubs that used ball bearings. I just need the measurements.

Thanks

there's a FAQ writeup that covers the dimentions IIRC. I'd find it and link it, but I'm at work and the system's too slow/stupid to let me do much.

Warlock, I didnt find the old thread but I did download an app for android called "showmetheparts". I was able to find some dimensions on there for my 92 unit bearings. Unfortunately its not in a drawing form just a list. Ill keep looking around. I have a screen shot to give you an idea of what it shows if you need it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I looked for that FAQ thread but didn't find what I was looking for.

And I'll check out that app, see if it'll give me what I'm looking for.

Yea I thought that thread got deleted, explains why I couldn't find it. Oh well. Musta turned into a pissing match.

I'll probably go down to the local parts store and bring the dial calipers. It was worth a shot.

Thanks again.

Back