• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Correct Angle for Limit Strap Brackets?

SeeingSpots

NAXJA Forum User
After losing a coil spring on a trail and tearing my brake line in the middle of nowhere, it's finally time to invest in some limit straps.

My question is, is there any specific angle that the brackets should be clocked in-order to prevent any unnecessary backwards/forwards torsion on the axle? Should the strap be as vertical as possible or can it be clocked at an angle?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

So you're this guy?

coil_spring_guy.jpg

lol! Fortunately mine didn't roll down the hill. That would've sucked since I was on the side of a mountain!

Vertical is ideal, but not required. Factor 1" stretch for each 12" of length. Adjustable clevis on the upper mount is a nice option as well.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/LIMITSTRAPS.html

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy-Multi-Strap-Clevis-Kit-p-29466.html#.UlyqW9K-r2Q

Thanks man...I appreciate the help. I ordered the Clevis kits today.

Another stupid question. Is it advisable to attach the bottom end of the strap to the shock mount? I've seen guys do that before and it just doesn't seem secure enough.

Thoughts?

Thanks man...I appreciate the help. I ordered the Clevis kits today.

Another stupid question. Is it advisable to attach the bottom end of the strap to the shock mount? I've seen guys do that before and it just doesn't seem secure enough.

Thoughts?

the question you have to ask yourself when mounting the strap is

"would I be comfortable dropping the axle and having it caught only by this attachment point?"

So before go and install this clevis kit, I wanted to run these pictures by you guys. I have the option to NOT use the clevis kit and just attach the upper strap bracket to my former UPA bracket, and the lower to my radius arm bracket.

Do you guys think this is advisable?

That is what I did to limit my rough country kit, it has been working for about a year this way with no problems.

Back