• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Washer

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,
My windshield washer has decided to scream at me instead of pump out washer fluid. I had used water for the summer months but im sure that is is all worked out of the system now. Last night it did not pump water at all and today I got it to work a little bit but not very well and used lots of washer fluid to be sure no water remained in the lines. However I would like to fix this problem. Any advice?
(1999 xj)

I got my pumps at a junkyard for only a few bucks. Super easy to remove the jamnut on the inside of the tank that secures the pump if you have a ratchet, extension and deepwell socket.
Don't let the cannon-plug and the wash line get mixed up between the two pumps.
If you get one from a junkyard, make sure the lip on the pump on the outside of the tank isn't cracked. Even a tiny crack there will leak out the entire tank.

The strainers inside the tank might be clogged and blocking the flow. The tanks in my '96 & '89 both needed a good cleaning to remove the washer fluid build up scum.
I don't know about getting into your hidden tank, but I've never needed to actually replace a pump after cleaning.

Mike

Back