• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The most streetable lunchbox

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ.
I've wanted a locker for years, but haven't had a garage, which makes me real lazy.
Finally found a D44 rear for cheap, and finally happened to have the space to work. D44 came with an auto-locker which looks to be either a Spartan or Powertrax. Works ridiculously well for sure, but the whole point in switching rears was to try and get rid of some of the driveline slack I've had for years. Now I of course have quite a bit more slack. I can live with slack, but I figure it's worth posing the question:
Are there any auto-lockers out there that create less driveline slack than others?

I've heard that Powertrax lockers are supposed to employ a tighter, more tapered crosspin section, for smoother positive/negative engagement. Anyone know if this is true of Powertrax or anyone else?
I'm looking at installing another lunchbox up front, but I don't like the idea of a tonne of slack in the front when driving on highway ice. I'm in Vancouver now (from northern AB where ice is the norm) so I don't have to deal with a lot of ice on a daily basis, but I do get up into the mountain passes pretty often.
I do have a cable actuated front disco, so I suppose with a locker, I could always drive in 3wd when shit gets dicy.

Anyone have experience with several locker designs and wanna chime in?

the increased "driveline slack" is what is called backlash. it is an inherent problem with lunchbox lockers just because of the way they work. i have lunchboxes from and rear in my rig, and with the manual, the increased backlash in the rear is almost unbearable. it makes for a lot of driveline shock.

the powertrax no slip is supposed to be the smoothest running, quietest operating lunchbox on the marker. but i cant comment on the backlash issue... rather, if it is present with this locker. but for the price... your pretty darn close to just buying a full case auto locker like a detroit, or spend your pennies on a selectable locker.

personally id just leave a lunchbox in the front. the backlash isnt an issue in 2wd, and i dont feel im too worried about it if road conditions warrant 4wd just to get around.

I have the Powertrax no-slip on my C8.25. There is still some backlash but it's very minimal. I actually have to pay attention to notice it. It is silent, but will still lock sometimes when I wish it wouldn't. i.e. Making a right turn from a stop it will often lock and chip the tires even if being extremely light on the gas. Compared to the Aussie I have in the front the No-slip is a dream. But that's $250 compared to $600 also. When I re-gear I'll go to full-case lockers at both ends.

Yea, I'd looked at the PTX No-Slip, but they seem to be pretty adamant that you shouldn't install it up front (while they hesitantly say you CAN install the LockRight in the front). No explanation as to why.

I know the slack is normal, but I've read several places that SOMEONE's lunchbox had more taper to the crosspin shaft section, leading to smoother engagement/disengagement, but I cannot for the life of me remember who it was. I can't imagine why that section isn't already tapered a little wider to begin with. Almost tempted to machine my own inners unless I find someone who's got the same design already.

I've considered a manual locker for the front, but I'm not about to invest that much money into my little D30. If I ever do go to a manual, it'll be when I get ahold of the mythical D44 front that'll fit properly on my XJ :)

Maybe the ramps on the "clutches" are a special shape.

i forget what they are called... but i found that the inner "spacers" that fit inside the drive gears were differently shaped in my spartan than my aussie. it was more conical, vs a completely round shape in the aussie. its much quieter and smoother than my aussie.

that bugger was SO loud, but quieted down a lot.

aussie, have a aussie & spartan, the aussie has much better manners, that is all I can say. It is loud and clicks allot, but always disengages when it should etc...

The only thing I've read is you should never have an auto-locker in the front of a full-time 4WD.

As for the tappered pin in the no-slip, it doesn't have one from what I can see. It came with a replacement but was round just like the stock. Maybe the ramps on the "clutches" are a special shape.

My brother has a lock right up front and limited slip d44 rear in his TJ and said when it's not in 4wd it's almost invisible, and in 4wd it still has pretty good manners, he loves it. I have a lock right in my D44 and i can hear it click a lot but it has good road manners as well... I'm going to get a lock right for my front as soon as I get the coin.

If you have an auto/non-selectable locker in the front of a "fool-time" 4wd vehicle, it is not that anymore. The whole ideal of fool-time is to differ the power to be able to drive it.

Back