• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 Speed to Automatic swap

Monster3663

NAXJA Forum User
For all you die hard love my 5 speed guys. Of which I used to be one. I have had 4 different 5 speed XJ's and now an automatic.I recently swapped the 5 speed out of my 1990 with an engine, auto trans and transfer case from a 1998. The automatic is definitely the way to go it makes wheeling so much easier. In the sand you don't have to always shift as sand thickness changes. If you have to stop in the middle of a hill or a climb to put in 4X4 or to low gear, you don't have to wish you had three feet. One for the clutch one for the brake and one for the gas pedal. The auto seems to pull trailers with more ease than the 5 speed. City driving is easier especially since I have 4.88 gears. The only con I found was slow climbing down hills or rocks that is the only time I miss the 5 speed's first gear. I went out three time since swap and it did great on pavement, rocks, sand, dirt and mud.

cool story bro, i went from a auto to 5spd, have zero regrets cept for not doing it sooner

Some people pick a trans based on what it can do. For others, like myself it's the other way around. I enjoy driving a manual and so that's what I "drive".. then I'll see what it can do. If you have lost your love of the clutch then I can see how you might like an automatic but trying to start an argument over which is "better" is rather futile. You'll never reach consensus. Glad you're happy though.

Your doing it wrong!?!?

You just needed this
pybybuta.jpg

Photo is not mine

I've wheeled both...a lot. I like them both for different reasons.

Mine is an auto now and it's fine. One thing about an AW4 over an AX15 is reliability. I'm sitting on three autos in my garage that I'd sell for stupid cheap but I can't get rid of them, nobody blows them up.

My next rig will be a 5 speed though. For two reasons. Pulling my trailer I really would like to stick it in a gear and have it stay there and I get myself into places by myself that having the chance to push start it with a dead battery would be nice.

Saying someone is stupid, less manly or gay because they use an auto is stupid at best though.

Off Topic stuff removed. Thread restored.

Please keep it on topic and civil.

Wow, no sense of humor around here

Not sure where the tech is in this thread either

Cool story bro, glad you are happy with the auto

Back