• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bell housing noises

Kilroy08

NAXJA Forum User
I got the call the other day from my brother that my '92 Cherokee I'd been letting him borrow was making all kinds of racket when he puts it in reverse.

I get down there fire it up and go to back it in the garage, it makes an extremely loud ratcheting/clicking noise in reverse. In drive it's still there but quieter.

So I pull it in and pop off the inspection cover. Torque converter bolts are all there and tight. Then I look up and see that the bell housing bolt by the shifter linkage has backed out and the only thing keeping it from escaping the rest of the way was the linkage bracket. The bolt on the other side, gone. The only thing holding the transmission in was the top two bell housing bolts!

I found another lower bolt and put them in with lock washers.

I go for a test drive and there is still a clicking/ratcheting noise, only a lot quieter than before.

Am I looking at a cracked or busted bell housing that's rubbing on the ring gear on the fly wheel, or did it booger up the transmission pump or torque converter?

I gave up on it last night and will look at it later. For right now, it is staying where I parked it.

Back