• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need for Speed on rough trails

3two7eight

NAXJA Forum User
Given ~$2000 and an XJ with a 3.5" RE lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, SYE, and HD tie rod, drag link, and track bar, on 31x5.5 tires, how would you modify the Jeep to be faster over rough, pitted, deep-hole trails without falling apart?

Long arms and better shocks, that about all your gonna get with 2000. Long arms will greatly improve your ride. I have a Clayton 3 link, not radius arm, and the difference in ride quality was night and day. i also have 5150's up front and they help a lot over rough roads amd whoops up to about a foot. Speed also helps, the faster you can drivr over the bumps the smoother they will feel.

Stiffening, cage if you feel froggy, proper bumpstops, and well tuned shocks.

That being said, you could just buy a $1000 beater and flog the shit out of it. I did that to my 98 XJ for something like a year, it's been bottomed out on the shocks so many times the bushings came out in pieces, the front pinion/driveshaft chewed a hole in the exhaust, and the steering linkages scratched up the oil pan, and I drive it 140 miles a day for work with no problems. I paid $1000 for it in 2010 and I think I've put something like 700 in junkyard parts on it now to make it look nicer and keep it going.

Stock except for a V8 ZJ tie rod, helper shocks in the back to deal with the saggy leafs, broken-off rear bumpstops, and one front shock (240k on it plus my abuse, so I can't really complain) is completely, utterly dead at this point. Oh and I put a grand caravan radio in it, which helps the suspension a lot.

hell, XJLI has ridden in it while I did some of this, I came out of that run with scratches and scores all over the bottom of the gas tank and then drove it home.

That being said, you could just buy a $1000 beater and flog the shit out of it.
Yeah, that's what I've done for my last three Cherokees, and one Wrangler. :D Worked great for me, and I've been able to steadily upgrade until now I've got a pretty nice XJ, so I'm hoping to make this one last a while. ;) I've had great luck with stock or mostly-stock XJs - actually, better luck than I've had with the nicer rigs I've moved "up" to.

Back