• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical problems

nfletche

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm having some issues with my XJ.

4.0L
4x4
190,000 on the odometer

Yesterday, I was driving home from work and the Jeep started stalling out on me in the parking lot. I was able to make it a few blocks but decided against continuing as the entire engine was vibrating and shaking so much. Plus, the Jeep wouldn't go over about 10 miles an hour. The gauges on the dash went crazy, especially the speedometer.

I had the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor replaced today. I normally do this stuff myself, but in this case with no time and needing the Jeep, I had a shop do it. Bit the bullet and paid, tow and all.

When I went to pick it up today, it seemed fine at first. About two blocks away, the check engine light came back on and the speedometer started going crazy again. I was late for work and had to get back, and the damn thing was running just fine, so I figured I'd worry about it later. I went ahead and disconnected the battery for about four hours.

After I left work today, it still did the same thing. CEL on, Check Gauges light on, but the Jeep fired right up and ran without a problem. Speedometer now seems to be working, but my voltage meter is only running at about 10-11, when it is normally right in the middle at the 14 mark (sorry if it isn't the right term, I forget if it measures amps or volts--I'm pretty decent at fixing most things on suspension, engine, etc., but know nothing about the electrical system).

What could be causing this? At the moment, the voltage meter and the CEL are the only issues I'm having. I guess I should be happy that it's driveable, but I'm not. I want things to work the way the should. Now I know by reading other threads that the dash gauge panel connection sometimes comes loose, which I thought was a possibility since at one point none of my gauges were registering anything at all. It just seems weird to me that all these things happened at once. The shop (of course) said that it shouldn't be related, but what's the odds of these things happening all at once and not being related? Not very good, I think.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to be detailed. I'm at a loss. Like I said, I'll tackle just about anything on the Jeep...besides electrical stuff. Could it be a bad ground? They all seem tight. Could it be a short? Hell, I wouldn't even know where to begin on diagnosing that, and I don't have the money to pay someone massive diagnostic charges.

Thanks in advance. I have definitely been over the threads, but I have never seen anything exactly like mine, so I apologize now if I am repeating others' questions.

All of those symptoms match a bad Crankshaft Position Sensor from what I have read, Your brand new one may have malfunctioned, thats my guess.

Back