• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identify axles asap

DimaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Have a chance to grab these for next to nothing. Anyone know what they are?
u7evuqa3.jpg

megy5asa.jpg

ytere5ej.jpg

Hard to tell but it looks like they are D60-1SUs out of late 90s early 2000s Ford Vans.

I run one in the rear of my MJ. Great axles. Smooth bottom, 32 spline shafts (35 spline shafts slide right through the spindle, no boring out), big twin piston brakes with slip off rotors and the standard 8x6.5 bolt pattern.

I'd snag both of them.

They are worth more than $50 each that's for sure

Not sure what year, but those look like semifloat ones, out of E250s in the 8x6.5 pattern years and ????? in the metric pattern years.

That build number in the last pic reads as 606845-1 to me - comes out as a 3.55 geared 02-04 E350 single rear wheel semifloat (yeah, news to me, thought all the E350s were fullfloat) which will be exactly what Colin said. Tirerack says an 02-04 will have 8x6.5" bolt pattern.

Not quite as cool as fullfloat ones from the same vehicles, but still worth buying IMO, the downside is you can't run some of the lockers available for 60s because the c-clips won't fit or something. 20c/lb works out to around 80 each I'd say. I paid 130 for my E350 fullfloat 3.55 geared SRW D60-1SU but I lucked out and found it at a local you-pull before anyone else got to it.

Check the other one and see if you can find a ratio stamping in the tag or get the same build number off it (it'll be 606xxx-x) and look it up here to find out what's in there: http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/deabill.aspx

Last edited:
I didn't even notice the semi-float hubs.

Not sure what they're worth at that point. I believe they're c-clip, but I've never worked on one.

I thought they switched to the semi-floats in the E350s around the same time they switched to the metric pattern but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I thought all 8x6.5 E350s were fullfloat, so this one's news to me.

I'll see if I can figure out if they are c clip style semifloat or not.

edit: looking at the output of that bill of materials database, one of the shafts (I chose a random one) is 76002-1X which is a 35 spliner when I look in D/S XGI.pdf, so it's a 35 spline axle, just a semifloat one. Still no info on C clip or not, gonna keep looking.

edit2: see the "semi float design" section of this drawing - http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/dedraw.aspx?drawing=00002396

I can't quite tell whether it's C clip or not, but I don't see a bearing retention plate so I'd assume it is. Limits you on locker availability, you can still lincoln lock it though.

Last edited:
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like at least one of them is semi float. If the other is full float 8x6.5, I'd be interested in it. Let me know if you want to resell it.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like at least one of them is semi float. If the other is full float 8x6.5, I'd be interested in it. Let me know if you want to resell it.

They both look like semi-floaters to me. I used to work on Dodge B350 vans with full floating Dana 60s and the hub portion stuck out pretty far from the wheel mounting surface, like 3 inches or so. Those don't look like they stick out more than 1 inch.

I do not know much about identifying axles but, Don't the full floaters have an external axle flange with bolts or stud and nuts through it securing it to the hub?

:dunno:

The semifloats are 35 spline stock, per the dana/spicer parts catalog I looked some of that info up in. Supposedly all E350 fullfloats are 32 spline stock (but I counted the splines on mine and it's 30 spline, I dunno who's been in it previously though) but have large enough spindles for 35 spline shafts with no boring.

I'm probably going to run mine 30 spline till I blow up a shaft and then find a way to convert it to 35 spline with the locker I have. May have to broach out the side gears or something, I dunno.

The semifloats are 35 spline stock, per the dana/spicer parts catalog I looked some of that info up in. Supposedly all E350 fullfloats are 32 spline stock (but I counted the splines on mine and it's 30 spline, I dunno who's been in it previously though) but have large enough spindles for 35 spline shafts with no boring.

I'm probably going to run mine 30 spline till I blow up a shaft and then find a way to convert it to 35 spline with the locker I have. May have to broach out the side gears or something, I dunno.
just swap in 35 spline side gears

just swap in 35 spline side gears
I have that Eaton locker Stefan gave me, I can't find any info on how to make it 35 spline, just a lot of people asking if it can be done. Since I've already got the shafts I might as well use em, if it gives me trouble I'll do something about it.

Back