• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj replacement

dfarmxj

NAXJA Forum User
If you had to get rid of your xj because it no longer fits enough car seats, what vehicle would you get to fill the spot/do the same job? (Please, someone tell me that there's a jeep with three rows of seats)

The only catch is that I'm broke, so I'm basically stuck with what I can sell my 00 xj for plus 3 or maybe 4 grand.

About the only vehicle I've seen so far that seems to fit is a first gen durango with 3rd row seats, but they don't seem as reliable and readily adaptable for off road use as the xj.

I could keep the xj and just buy a mini van and be in my budget, but I don't want to have that many vehicles sitting around.

Thanks

I would buy a mini van and keep the xj. Ask nw -xj -zj -Durango- Scott and mojojo why they don't like Durangos any more.

I bought my 2001 Durango (4.7 v8) for $4k cash

After 20k miles it blew a trans, and I traded it in for my old 5.9 ZJ ($4k trade in..winning!)

As a Jeeper with 5 kids, my advice is keep the XJ and buy a cheap minivan, second gen Honda odyssey's can be found for under $5k

Just build this.

longcabw2_zps70bc81e1.jpg

My point is. A dude with a big family needs a reliable car. Find something that's going to get your family where they need to go. Then focus on a off-roading toy. A daily driver toy isn't for everyone.

This is the way I'm leaning at the moment. I'll need a bigger off road capable vehicle as the kids get bigger anyways, but a mini van will give me time to get my 74 crew cab d200 converted to 4x4 and set up the way I want before getting rid of the jeep.

I only actually go wheeling 1 or 2 times a year. Most of the time its just hunting, camping, and general shenanagens on old logging roads and stuff like that.

Can anyone say if a person can fit 3 car seats in the back of a fsj? (Grand wagoneer)

I'd second getting an older Honda Odyssey or some other reliable minivan and keeping the XJ.

Durangos are nice but I'm not so sure about their reliability. My gf's parents bought an '01 brand new and had a lot of issues with it... the rear diff went out for some reason among other things... I don't know what else exactly but I know they had to put a lot of money into it for repairs. When they got a new car I was interested in buying it until I head about all the problems they had with it.

I'm leaning towards getting a mini van(shudders) and selling the xj to buy a fsj to use as a toy and to drive myself around when it's snowy or I feel like going to play.

The xj won't work even as a toy with three kids for very long.

Buy a land cruiser. Not an fsj, but a proper land cruiser... I would say the 80 series but if you can find a low price on 100 series then jump on it.

Both vehicles are bigger than an xj and have 3rd row seating. They are incredibly reliable and robust. There's a reason NATO has fleets of 80's in service worldwide and not XJ's. (Not knocking out XJ's, but the land cruisers are truly engineered well.)

I'd love a cruiser, but it seems if one can buy a wagoneer for $1500, a cruiser in the same shape is $4500. I had a '79 Toyota 4x4 pickup for a long time, and I know that they are really well built vehicles, but I'm thinking that a vehicle that uses very common parts is a nice thing to have.

And an update on the vehicle search, I went shopping for mini vans today and while I can appreciate how great it will be for shuffling the family around, I feel like a part of me died. Lol

Back