• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotor and caliper spec question

unhitched

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to run 80's El Dorado Calipers in the rear of my Cherokee, I pretty much have it all put together I just have one issue i am running into. I am planning on running a Rotor from an 81 CJ that is .88 thick and good till .82".

The original Caliper for an El Dorado is 1.02 inches thick and is good till .96". Will that work? It seems like there is plenty of throw in the wheel cylinder, and there is only 8 hundredths difference between the max and the minimum disc thickness. I dont drive this jeep that much so it is not going to go through brakes all that fast. I figure as long as I have new pads and a new rotor it should be fine.

I like these rotors because I can use them without redrilling anything (I am changing to 5 on 5.5 at the same time) but i would like to hear if anyone else has a better suggestion

the caliper piston is likely going to be out too far as the CJ rotor is thinner that the out of spec El Dorado rotor. This is going to make the possibility of a cocked piston more likely. Re drilling the rotor is the better option, or using a different caliper altogether.

I have used these calipers on the back of my Toyota with Lincoln rotors. They will be on my Pontiac with the same Lincoln rotors as well (redrilled for the pontiac though). The rotors came from a mid 80s Mark 7 rear or something like that.

Back