• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Basic question: shift on the fly

Alpine Jim

NAXJA Forum User
As mentioned in my first post, I am new to Cherokees so have some pretty basic questions.

My (stock) '99 has the part-time Command trac 231 transfer case.

Can I shift back and forth from 2Hi to 4Hi (both directions) while moving without hurting anything? And is there a recommended speed at which to not exceed?

I do understand going to 4Lo requires a complete or almost complete stop. (Right?)

Thanks.

Although the manual sez shift into 4HI at "any legal speed" I usually am not traveling 65 when I need to pull the handle.

I have done it at 40 or 50 without a problem and apparently that's supposed to be fine...but not on dry pavement. Only on wet, slippery, gravel, or otherwise slippery roads. I don't ever use it until I need it anyway. I don't jam it into 4x "as a precaution". If the road is slippery I always slow down FIRST !!

Because the Cherokee uses unit bearings and the front driveshaft is always spinning, you can shift from 2hi to 4hi at any speed. Could be 100mph.

As long as the front tires are turning at the same speed as the rear tires.

If you have lockout hubs you have to engage them first.

I used to shift my old 242 in my DD into fulltime at 65-70 without issue. Push clutch in, shift t-case, let clutch back out.

IIRC the 242 had a viscous coupling, where as the 231 does not. Big Difference.

Any legal speed per the manual. I've done it at 80 plus numerous times.

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

Adding to the above, you can shift into 4 low at any speed without much thought. But when you're on iffy surfaces, shift before any tires begin slipping. If anything is already slipping it will no longer be well synchronized.

Shifting back to 2WD may require a bit more finesse, especially if your tires are not perfectly matched. Back off the throttle, and if it's a manual, use the clutch. Release may be delayed a little until stress is off the gears.

Adding to the above, you can shift into 4 low at any speed without much thought. But when you're on iffy surfaces, shift before any tires begin slipping. If anything is already slipping it will no longer be well synchronized.

Shifting back to 2WD may require a bit more finesse, especially if your tires are not perfectly matched. Back off the throttle, and if it's a manual, use the clutch. Release may be delayed a little until stress is off the gears.

you mean 4hi

Back