• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Absorber recommendations?

b5blue

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 2dr 2WD is in need of new shocks and I'm looking for the best ones to get just a good around town ride, no off road or extreme handling. My tires are a little oversize and not very good at gripping in the rain so I know really "hard" shocks will only make that worse. (They came on the Jeep when I bought it and are darn near new.)
Has anyone compared any of the different grades of Monroe or Gabriel shocks? Right now this thing rides like a buck board! (Bouncy!)

I liked the ride of the Monroe yellow cans, when I had stock suspension, cheap, and decent ride.

Bilstein is my first choice, but I run sport shocks, a little stiffer than stock. Monroe is my second choice. There was a time when Monroe and Gabriel was the same shock right down to the part numbers (stamped on the side of the shock), that has likely changed though. Used to be the only difference was the price.

Well I replaced all the shocks with Monroe "Gas-Matic" and WHAT a change! The very well worn shocks on there all came off with no real problem after soaking all threads in PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench several times, days in advance. (I was worried about the rear's upper bolts breaking.) I installed new bump-stops front and back and changed the fuel filter while at it. It now rides better than I ever hoped it could!

Back