• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'05 WJ power seats into an XJ

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
So while this has been done, I've not found anyone who's managed to retain the WJ power seat bases. I popped them off and swapped'm out with the stock XJ bases, but as I'm 6'5", the extra inch on the seat made me sitting in Jeepy a bit John Cleese. For this reason, I'm going to retain the WJ bases and "massage" them in.

Anyone else done this? Got any pointers?

Known issues:
  • insufficient jeep/seat clearance on the inside (transmission area) - Already fixed this with my patented Jeep unibody hammer.
  • insufficient clearance on control panel (collides with seat belt tensioner) - Planning on pushing the seat as far right as possible, and cutting out the control panel plastic or re-forming in towards the seat about an inch.
  • front bolts don't quite line up. outside lines nice, but the inside is off by about 1/4" - Will just place seat wherever it fits, and weld on a few new tabs to the seat base, or drill new mounting holes in the unibody.

I've already got the driver seat soft fit to make sure it actually sits low enough for me. I'm not sure if the seat is already at its lowest setting or not, and didn't have time to wire up power. As the seat was all the way forward, it's a bit difficult to tell what's what, but I wasn't hitting the roof so I'm already ahead on the stock XJ bases.

P.S. Also going to be installing the WJ rear seats as well.

Sorry, I can't offer any advice, although I would like to know how this can be done as well...

Just to clarify, you have WJ seats, as in from a '99-'04 Grand Cherokee? An '05 would be a WK which is totally different.

Well shit. I didn't know that. So yes, these are from a WK (2005) then. From what I saw though, the seats are very similar, and the other write-ups I've found for the ZJ/WJ swaps were about the same as mine, except that I wanted to retain the power base from the WK. If I'd used the XJ base for the driver seat, the swap would have been about 10 minutes. Only reason I went with the WK base for the driver seat is because I'm 6'5". The XJ base is about 1" taller than the WK base, so WK gave me more head room, plus I wanted to give myself more leg room which meant some fabrication on the WK base anyway.

FYI, it is QUITE doable. I've got both front seats installed and wired for power. I'll do a proper write up later (once I'm done).

For now, no pictures :(

There are a few issues and a few options.

First, the WK bases don't line up quite right with the XJ unibody.
Drivers seat: front bolts line up well enough that they can be coaxed into position with a bit of force. The rear left bolt lines up perfectly (though mine was sheered off, so I'll have to fab something up). The rear right bolt is about 2" off.
Passenger seat: WK base doesn't line up at all.

Next, on the driver side, there isn't enough room for the seat due to transmission/t-case/driver shaft.

Solutions:
Passenger seat is easy if you don't need to retain the WK power base. I figure I don't care about passenger seat being able to go up/down or tilt, so I swapped the XJ base onto the WK seat and it bolts right in. This only requires removing 4 bolts holding the bases to the seats, swap bases, and re-install. If you have a power seat, you will need to trim the plastic from the right side of the seat to clear the seat belt tensioner. Swapping to the XJ base will lose you power up/down/forward/backward/tilt, but you'll still have manual forward/backward, and power recline, lumbar support, and heat.

Drivers seat is more work. First, you have to pound out the unibody around the transmission/tcase to make room. This took me about 10 light smacks with a 5lbs sledge and took about 30 seconds.
Next, you have two options. Either swap the XJ base onto the WK seat, in which case it's a direct bolt in (plus trim the seat plastic to clear seat belt tensioner, and possibly remove the seat belt tensioner pastic). This unfortunately raises the seat by almost an inch. If you're okay with this, go this route. If you want power base, the front and rear left bolt will line up, but the main bolt (rear right) won't. You'll need to install a new bolt through the unibody for this. For now, I just drilled a hole through and bolted it in, and will fab up some more structural support later.

In my case, I'm 6'5" so the seats never went back far enough for me. The WK base goes about as far back as the XJ, but I thought I'd take this as an opportunity to give myself more leg room. I removed the WK base and welded it back on about 3" further forward on the seat, to give me another 3" leg room. This wasn't necessary but as the WL base can go far enough forward to accommodate a 4' chinese woman, I figured I might as well move it all back.

You will have to retain the XJ set belt clips. If you're retaining the XJ bases, just leave the seat belt clip installed. If you go to the WK bases, you'll need to bolt the seat belt clips into the bottom of the seat. Also, if you modify the bases rear inside mounting bolt, make sure you re-inforce the bolt hole. The inside bolt is the one that holds your seat in the Jeep in the event of a collision. The rest are just for show :)

As for power, nothing to it. Red and Black wires on the drivers seat, and yellow and black on the passenger seat. I haven't hooked up heat yet, but I imagine it'll be three wires on the harness (ground, high and low). Will report back when I do a write up.

All in all, the swap took me about 3 hours, but only because I've got no fabrication experience. Welding the WK base to give myself the extra 3" leg room took 90 minutes cause had to let things cool off ever few seconds.

Last edited:
So you are saying 2005+ WK (not 99-04 WJ) front seats will bolt onto XJ bases?

I just did this with WJ seats last year, but just assume WK was completely different. I'll have to sneak a peak at my moms wk next time I'm home.

How bout the rear?

So you are saying 2005+ WK (not 99-04 WJ) front seats will bolt onto XJ bases?

I just did this with WJ seats last year, but just assume WK was completely different. I'll have to sneak a peak at my moms wk next time I'm home.

Yupper. Both seats bolt directly onto the XJ bases just fine. As I said, the passenger seat is installed with no other modifications (other than trimming the plastic on the door side of the seat for clearance with seat belt tensioner.
Drivers seat bolted in exactly the same (to the XJ bases) but required hammering out the unibody around the transmission/tcase (just a little).

How bout the rear?
Haven't got there yet. The mounts are completely different, but looks like the actual unibody shape is very similar. May bolt in with the addition of a few bolt holes and weld nuts.

Yupper. Both seats bolt directly onto the XJ bases just fine. As I said, the passenger seat is installed with no other modifications (other than trimming the plastic on the door side of the seat for clearance with seat belt tensioner.
Drivers seat bolted in exactly the same (to the XJ bases) but required hammering out the unibody around the transmission/tcase (just a little).

Haven't got there yet. The mounts are completely different, but looks like the actual unibody shape is very similar. May bolt in with the addition of a few bolt holes and weld nuts.

Well damn I need to scan the JY for WKs then. I haven't seen one there yet. Already have 60/40 split fold wj rear seat. Eager to see pics

sounds nice, I've been trying to figure out something for the front seats for mine as they're about out of life. cant wait to see some pics..

It's coming along.

Once it's all finished, I'll put it all apart and get some shots of the modified WK power base.

IMG_20131010_174522.jpg

IMG_20131010_174717.jpg

IMG_20131010_174546.jpg

IMG_20131010_174702.jpg

Ok those are WJ seats not WK. Google some pics of the interior of an '05+ WK, and you will see the side plastic molding and buttons for power functions are completely different.

I have WJ seats in my XJ. Its been done a million times before. And the rear goes in pretty easily. Its a matter of drilling 6 holes through the floor for the brackets to bolt down.

Well wtf. I'm positive the donor said 05, and the interior didn't look at all like any WJ I've been in. I guess the wrecker had it mislabeled and maybe someone had modified the dash and consoles? Was there any crossover between WJ and WK like we saw with the 97XJ?
I gotta go back for the sun-roof anyhow, so I'll confirm. Oh well. I'm happy with the seats anyhow :)

Just spent all day trying to get these exact seats/bases to work in iur 2000xj. No way in hell. The front holes would have kinda worked but to use the back hole on the ds left the seat would not clear the seatbelt mechanism even with plastic removed from the seat and the pillar. Just didnt want anyone to waste a day like I did. Also even with them remotely in place the seat would be way too far forward.

The only way to make them work is to cut the bittom mounts off and reweld them in the right places, over and forward. Also mounting the belt buckle would be questionable in a bad collision.

I just reused the xj bases and will reweld these miunts once I get 220 in my garage. Killing me to see my miller 180 sitting there with a full tank...

Just spent all day trying to get these exact seats/bases to work in iur 2000xj. No way in hell. The front holes would have kinda worked but to use the back hole on the ds left the seat would not clear the seatbelt mechanism even with plastic removed from the seat and the pillar. Just didnt want anyone to waste a day like I did. Also even with them remotely in place the seat would be way too far forward.

The only way to make them work is to cut the bittom mounts off and reweld them in the right places, over and forward. Also mounting the belt buckle would be questionable in a bad collision.

I just reused the xj bases and will reweld these miunts once I get 220 in my garage. Killing me to see my miller 180 sitting there with a full tank...

They'll fit, but requires unibody modification (hammer out some space around the transmission).
Took me 4 or 5 good whacks with a 3lbs sledge and the WJ base fit right in.

That said, I thought the WJ bases were too far forward as well, so I welded the seat on the mount further back and also drilled another hole to mount the rear right drivers seat bolt.

That said, the WJ seats fit right on the XJ bases (which is what most guys do). You lose power up/down/tilt but you still have power lumbar/recline/heat, and manual forward/backward.

I cut the plastic moulding around the seatbelt to fit, but later found out I could've made it fit without the trim.

I hammered the tunnel just fine. Had plenty of clearance there. When I manage to line up the one bolt hole in the back that was close the seat hit the trim on the seatbelt. So I removed the trim and the screws on the side of the recline bracket still hit. When you rewelded the brackets you must have gotten it a half inch over.

There is just no way those bases will work without welding them in a different spot.

However there is a chance one of our sets could have been bent somehow to make the difference as it wasnt that far off. I will be welding them at somepoint thought since I already spliced in the plug for the harness.

I hammered the tunnel just fine. Had plenty of clearance there. When I manage to line up the one bolt hole in the back that was close the seat hit the trim on the seatbelt. So I removed the trim and the screws on the side of the recline bracket still hit. When you rewelded the brackets you must have gotten it a half inch over.

There is just no way those bases will work without welding them in a different spot.

However there is a chance one of our sets could have been bent somehow to make the difference as it wasnt that far off. I will be welding them at somepoint thought since I already spliced in the plug for the harness.

Dunno for sure, but I'm pretty confident I welded dead center where it was stock, but back 2-3". Just barely cleared the seatbelt tensioner with the pastic removed from both the seat and the tensioner. IIRC I put the tensioner trim back on and it fit fine.
I'll try to remember to grab a picture when I'm back outside.

Back