• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 out of 5 lugs just spin and don't loosen... advice?

Do the studs catch at all? Try an impact gun, maybe try putting pressure on the stud with a pry bar from the back side of the wheel while using an impact gun to remove each nut.

If that doesnt work, air chisel the lug nuts off, then replace the studs and nuts.

If you dont have these tools, then idk lol.

Sounds like the knurling on the studs has been stripped ... if it's a c-clip style rear axle, pull axle shaft and grind heads of studs off and use a punch to drive them out ... on my 2000 TJ with a D35, tire shop overtorqued lug nuts and stripped all 5 lugs... pulled axle, ground the heads and drove them out ... if the knurling is gone off studs, look closely at the grooves in axle flange that the knurling engages... if the grooves are damaged, you'll need a new axle shaft...

If it's a front, about the only thing to do is drill or cut the studs... hope this helps and good luck!

Yeah, me too ... when tire shop f&*"ed mine up, I took it back to them up fix it, and they told me it was not their responsibility... really? They installed wheels, they were the last ones to touch them, and it wasn't their fault ... Hmmm... luckily I figured out how to fix it, 'cause I'm basically awesome! lol

Last edited:
Back