• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking about a move

littlebill86

NAXJA Forum User
I have been kicking around the idea of moving up to Oregon from Southern California. Any one have tips on the best areas to live (cost, safety, camping close by) I have found a couple company's in the Portland area to apply with. I would try to live in a suburb of Portland instead of the city is this a good idea?

I've been thinking myself about moving, I'm thinking about sandy area, beaver creek, Estacada, boring, places like that. Dave is right, stay out of multnomah county. I'm looking into places in Clackamas county

Camas, washington, if you can find a company on the east side of portland, lower property taxes and better schools.

The trick to cheapest way is to live in washington(no land tax) but live close to the border to buy food in oregon(no food tax)

The trick to cheapest way is to live in washington(no land tax) but live close to the border to buy food in oregon(no food tax)

Washington does not tax unprepared food. So as long as you don't plan on eating a Mc Donald's everyday your good.

All though, if you plan to buy a car or boat be prepared to pay up. But if I remember California is the same way.

Last edited:
Unprepared food is about the only thing here that's not taxed.

There is no state income tax so they tax everything, which screws me since I work in Oregon.
I end up paying taxes for two states.

The state of Oregon screws you. That's one of my pet peeves about Oregon. I have one buddy that moved to Washington just because of Oregon poor tax laws. He now works over here and don't pay them a dime.

The state of Oregon screws you. That's one of my pet peeves about Oregon. I have one buddy that moved to Washington just because of Oregon poor tax laws. He now works over here and don't pay them a dime.

A lot of people use the Amtrak claus to get out of paying Oregon tax, but from what I've been hearing Oregon has started auditing people who file that way.

I live on the west side of Portland (beaverton, Aloha). I have every necessity (grocer store, mall, theater, restaurant, etc) that one could want x3 or 4 within no more than a 15 minute drive and Browns Camp which is the main wheeling area around here is only 45 minutes away.

A lot of people use the Amtrak claus to get out of paying Oregon tax, but from what I've been hearing Oregon has started auditing people who file that way.

I need more information about this. ... my office just moved from mill plain in vancouver to cascade station in Portland.

Sounds like a bunch of negative nancies in here... I live in multnomah county, nothing wrong with it if you don't plan on buying a home. Its nice and close to pretty much everything you would ever want to do. Parts store 5 minutes away, browns camp 45 minutes away, sand lake just over an hour, etc etc etc. Now let me throw a question at you. I just applied for a position in LA, I went down for the interview and it looks like I will be getting the job. Where do you guys wheel down there? Nothing I saw looked all that interesting, but I didn't make it far outside of the city.

I have been kicking around the idea of moving up to Oregon from Southern California. Any one have tips on the best areas to live (cost, safety, camping close by) I have found a couple company's in the Portland area to apply with. I would try to live in a suburb of Portland instead of the city is this a good idea?

So, what do you do for work?

Back