• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another 0331 head thread

LoveHate

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings!

I have a 2001 XJ Sport, 4X4, 4.0, auto, with 145,000 miles.

Beginning of July she started loosing coolant from the overflow tank but not the radiator. A couple weeks ago I pulled into work and the oil pressure dropped to 0 and the dash light came on. The oil on the dip stick looked good and I haven't had any change in oil level (check it every time I get gas). Pulled the oil fill cap off and it had a nice blob of milkshake on it… crap.

Put a new oil pressure switch on and my pressure is back to 40psi @ 70 mph and 10 psi @ idle. But I'm still losing coolant from the overflow tank. She still drives great, no power loss, no weird noises, no smoke out of the exhaust, and no coolant smell from the engine bay. I changed the oil and took a sample while it drained.

Sent the oil sample to Blackstone and USPS tracking shows it should be there today. I'm going to bring her to the repair shop on Monday for a leak down test.

After reading about the 0331 heads, it seems like the crack doesn't always show up until the engine is hot. Will a leak down test help if the engine isn't warm? Is there anything else I should recommend to the shop?

What should I be looking for in the Blackstone report?

For those that have only changed the head after it's cracked, did the engine run fine afterwards or do the bearings go pretty quick?

The radiator (it was leaking), hoses, thermostat, radiator cap, water pump, and fan clutch were replaced last November with Mopar parts.

Thanks!

I swapped a 93 head on and it's been running stronger for the last 100,000 km's

high lead, iron, tin, and copper levels i believe.
EDIT: They will usually explain it to ya in the comments section of the results.

Back