• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cat converter type does it matter?

I'm not sure what other states require. When I bought my '96, it had a non-CA cat. The vehicle ran fine and passed the CA sniffer test, but failed the visual testing.

Depends on what state you live in, and what sort of emission testing they do there. You probably should get one, but I'm not sure if you have to get one.

Last edited:
Im in mass and they do sell non Ca cats so I am thinking it must be okay.

Believe it or not, but it can be difficult to find a ca cat even here in Cali, the exhaust shop I recently took my 98 to for a new cat couldn't even find a listing for a 98. 4.0 non-grand cherokee, had to install one called for under the 5.9. Of course this will pass smog this time, but next time I know he will run the numbers and get to sell me a new cat....

I am starting to think this is a racket....

Magnaflow has a CA listed Cat(s) for a 1998 Cherokee with a 4.0.
They even post the executive order numbers.

Ron

Last edited:
Here's the deal. If you don't live in CA, you don't need a CA spec cat for emissions purposes. That being said, since your XJ (presumably a 2000 or 2001) is CA spec, it has the set up with no 02 sensors in the downstream cat (aka the one near the muffler). They are all on the upstream cats after the exhaust manifold.

The non-CA XJ's in 2000/2001 have an O2 sensor in the downstream cat because they do not have upstream cats. If you buy a non-CA spec OEM cat it will have an 02 bung, which you won't be using.

Long story short...get a universal cat without an 02 bung. Get a 2.5 in/out. I have a Catco. Works great.

Correct, they make 49 state setups, and CA compliant setups.
The largest difference is that the MFG went though all the trouble to get it CARB approved.

The OPs location is " Gardner " If that Gardner Mass, he's golden with a 49 state legal setup. The reason I posted the bit about Magaflow was for XCM who seems to have gotten screwed by a mechanic.

Cool thanks for the knowledge ! My exaust does have a second o2 sensor past the cat even though it says under hood that it s ca emissions. It's a 99 4.0.

Correct, they make 49 state setups, and CA compliant setups.
The largest difference is that the MFG went though all the trouble to get it CARB approved.

The OPs location is " Gardner " If that Gardner Mass, he's golden with a 49 state legal setup. The reason I posted the bit about Magaflow was for XCM who seems to have gotten screwed by a mechanic.

No being screwed. It was an educated risk.

Thanks for trying though.... you might try youtube, thats where all the new trolls develop their skills.

Back