• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High oil pressure

dcampbell98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I just did an oil change on my 98, 4.0aw4 . I did my oil change it decided to give the rosella t 15w40 a try. In the past I used 5w30 and at warm idle the oil pressure would be about 20psi, under acceleration up to around 60psi. After this oil change I noticed the oil pressure was much higher and was curious if I should be worried about it. At idle the pressure sits around 45psi and while accelerating moves up to around 60-65psi. I'm just wondering if I will hurt anything or what others who run 15w40 average for oil pressure. Any advice or answers would be appreciated

you are running a thicker oil now, what oil filter you running

No problema.

Good to go.

It's my dd and I really only drive to and from work which is about 20-25 minutes. According to my temp gauge it gets up to operating temp 210*.

How many miles on the motor? I use Rotella 15w-40 as well but I top out the oil pressure at like 40-45 psi and idle at around 15-20 psi.

Have you confirmed your pressure with a manual gauge?

According to my temp gauge it gets up to operating temp 210*.

The oil temp takes another 20 or so minutes to get up to full temp after the engine has hit 210*.

I'm running Rotella 15w40 and my pressure hangs out at 40-45 regardless of temp or rpm. Not sure if thats good or bad but thats the reading I get on my gauge.

Once it warmed up it dropped down to about 20 according to my stock gauge. I will be installing a different gauge just so I can have a more accurate reading. I just wanted to see if that was normal and after warmup it does drop so for now I believe all is well. My next oil change I may switch to 10w30 just because winter is around the corner. Thanks all for the replies

Note that all oil pumps have a pressure relief mechanism built into them so that they can't build excess pressure. If they get to a high pressure situation, the relief valve opens and the oil is dumped directly back into the pan.

Note that all oil pumps have a pressure relief mechanism built into them so that they can't build excess pressure. If they get to a high pressure situation, the relief valve opens and the excess pressure is dumped back into intake port of the oil pump.

fify

Back