• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace sway bar to extend bushing life?

tkotitan

NAXJA Forum User
So I did sway bar bushings maybe 3 or 4 years ago, with about 50k miles since, and now the bushings are slipping, stripping off the outer layer of rust but the bar is still solid. Probably the original.

When we last did bushings, one of the bolts snapped and the mechanic had to cut into the unibody with a torch to do the bolt and then weld it all back together.

So I am wondering, should I change the sway bar when I do the bushings to keep from having to change them sooner of did I get a good life out of them. Or, could I treat the bar with some paint or such to increase circumference.

'94 XJ 2dr SE 5spd 168k.

Last edited:
Bushings are cheaper than sway bars. What bushing material and brand name did you use last time ?

Sway bar bushings are a good place to use poly bushings.

IMO, there are some things that going cheap on just are not cost effective. You replaced the bushings with cheap parts and now, you get to do it again...

Again, IMO... Either use factory bushings from the Dealer or, go with the poly aftermarket bushings.

Save money in the long run by spending it now.

Napa has good quality poly bushings for a reasonable.price
While you have it apart, drill and tap the bushings and bushing cradles for a zerk fitting. A shot of grease at every oil change should keep them running smoothly for a long time

10-4 on better bushings. Can someone educate this n00b how to tell if it is poly or not? Or send a link to a good sweet spot (price/performance) part? Although I suppose the best bushings can't cost that much, I am on a wicked tight budget these days.

I will probably order them online to save some bucks and I have a mechanic who is totally cool with it.

I replaced mine with the daystart swaybar kit. Shiuld bu under 30 $ for full set. Less for just frame bushings

Back