• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash dimmer switch question

Alpine Jim

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All.

New to this board and new to Cherokees, not new to Jeeps :) After driving my modified '72 Commando for better than 10 years, my new-to-me '99 Cherokee feels totally cush! It's stock for now, but I hope to add some mods in the next couple years.

Anyway, apparently the headlight/dash dimmer switch does not have an "interior-off" position. Am I just missing it? I want to be able to turn off the interior lights manually when I have the doors or hatch open for an extended length of time.

Thanks for the help. I am sure I will have plenty more questions in the future.

Jim

Nope. The lights are on when the door is open unless you can't turn them off AT the light like with a swivel or multi-position switch. There ARE little spring loaded dealies you can buy to put on the door switches, but otherwise no.

P.S. As soon as you lift your Jeep with stiff springs or shocks or put bigger tires on it or add this or that the cush goes away pretty quickly. Unless you're going to take it off road regularly, keep the stock ride.

Only MY opinion of course

I put a toggle switch into my 88, I'm a hunter and often sit near game trails for extended periods with the doors open.

You can likely do the same with your 99 without too much trouble if you have a volt meter, some wire, a toggle and some crimp connectors.

The fuse is fuse 16 in the PDC, test to make sure, there is often some discrepancies between what the book says and what is actually in the XJ. Pull the fuse and see if the lights go out.

The C1 connector at your junction block, upper left connector, ( the junction block is usually inside the cab, but I sure don't know the location on a 99, you'll have to ask someone else) has a pink wire going to it, that pink wire is from fuse 16. You can likely pull the connector and see if the lights go out.

I usually cut a little notch in the insulation lengthwise to get my volt meter leads on the copper core, an Xacto knife works well. If pulling the 16 fuse in the PDC cuts the power to the pink wire, cut the wire and wire in a toggle switch. I always check twice before cutting any wire. If you notch the wrong wire, cover the notch with electricians tape or a dab of automotive silicon.

Route your toggle wires so they won't rub on any sharp corners and are up out of the way.

Or if it is a sometimes thing, just pull the 16 fuse in the PDC when you have to leave the doors open for extended periods.

Back