• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear suspension ideas

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so my front end is good now being mid length long arm 3 linked ... time to work on the rear.

Currently it's fairly cookie cutter ... it's a Dakota Bastard pack, relocated lower shock mounts, standard spring clamps (typical wrap around sheet steel jobbies) HDOR relocation brackets and BDS 1.5" boomerangs.

What I am thinking of doing is ...

1. ditch restrictive spring clamps for heavier U type open clamps,
2. Add 1/8 or 1/16" spacers between the springs (same idea as used on some newer trucks), may even run spacer shims of differing thicknesses,
3. replace lower overload leaf with 1" 'block' that overhangs the perches 1" and incorporates the aforementioned U type spring clamps.

I'm hoping that ditching the clamps, overloads, and spacing the springs will "soften" the rear some and allow the springs to move somewhat more than they do now.

Sound plausible? Am I thinking crack addled here ... ???

OK, so my front end is good now being mid length long arm 3 linked ... time to work on the rear.

Currently it's fairly cookie cutter ... it's a Dakota Bastard pack, relocated lower shock mounts, standard spring clamps (typical wrap around sheet steel jobbies) HDOR relocation brackets and BDS 1.5" boomerangs.

What I am thinking of doing is ...

1. ditch restrictive spring clamps for heavier U type open clamps,
2. Add 1/8 or 1/16" spacers between the springs (same idea as used on some newer trucks), may even run spacer shims of differing thicknesses,
3. replace lower overload leaf with 1" 'block' that overhangs the perches 1" and incorporates the aforementioned U type spring clamps.

I'm hoping that ditching the clamps, overloads, and spacing the springs will "soften" the rear some and allow the springs to move somewhat more than they do now.

Sound plausible? Am I thinking crack addled here ... ???

You are thinking about a rear set up similar to what I have. The one difference is that I machined a downward curve into my spacer block to allow the spring to reverse arch without creating a fixed point on which the leafs bend. You will get all kinds of hate for running a lift block since they greatly increase the torque that causes axle wrap. Know what you are doing. I am on 31's, AW4, NP231 and stock gears (been that way since 05) and have had ZERO problems with axle wrap, broken springs or sagging springs. If you are on big tires (35's?) and have deep gears (4.56, 4.88), a stick or a 4:1 box you may need to add a link to restrain the axle rotation.

John

I hear ya there, I'm looking at more the spring shims more than a block. Already have larger (longer) anti-wrap perches and was considering trimming the overloads down to long anti-wrap spacers anyway ... they measure 3/4" already. A 1" spacer block with a longer than standard length shouldn't create too much of a wrap issue. I can see where a larger 2-3" block in standard length would.

I noticed a world of difference when I added full length double lipped Teflon leaf liners to my spring pack. Night and day. I would recommend trying them out before committing to spacers between each leaf.

I had trouble sourcing the leaf liner but I'm in Canada. I called Eaton and they gave me the number of a Canadian distributor who I had to call and specially order it in. But it was well worth the hassle.

let's revisit ...

This is more what I was ,eaning by shims
0411st_20_z+2004_chevrolet_silverado+leaf_pack.jpg

I noticed a world of difference when I added full length double lipped Teflon leaf liners to my spring pack. Night and day. I would recommend trying them out before committing to spacers between each leaf.
On my DIY spring packs, I use a full length plastic H-shaped liner that reduces the friction between leaves, something Goatman suggested many years ago. I get it from Eaton Springs or Deaver.
Also, to reduce friction, sand the leaves smooth, removing any dirt and rust and then spray them with a dry graphite spray, such as Slip-Plate to protect and decrease sliding friction.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SLIP-PLATE-Dry-Film-Lubricant-1WVK7?Pid=search

Back