• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at Buying an XJ-Two issues

vikingxj

NAXJA Forum User
So, I am looking at buying an XJ in my area that has 73,000 miles. It is a 97 and owned by an older gentleman, so it was not beaten, just worn a bit.

The grandson of the guy is the current owner and said he was driving it up until recently due to some issues. It is completely stock, 6 cylinder 4.0. The issues the guy said it had was a leak out of the lower radiator hose on the front right side (easy fix as long as nothing is cracked) and the other problem is a mystery to him and myself.

What happens is when he drives about 3/4 of a mile, the Jeep has started to warm up and then it idles low and dies. He said that it happens when driving. He fired up the engine and it idled just fine, sat like that for 5 minutes without any issue, so it seems that it is only when driving.

Coolant has been replaced with water due to the leak, but even then it looked like it had some rust issues, so maybe a heater core issue along with radiator rust. I replaced the radiator, heater core and water pump in my Jeep, so I know what is involved in a worst case scenario.

I offered the guy $3,500 for it in its current condition, figuring I would be able to do the work myself.

What might be the mystery behind the sudden dying when driving? Any ideas?

Thanks!

That's a great buy, IMHO.

I'd try cleaning the throttle body first. Might be
carbon build-up causing the stalling. Clean where
the throttle plate butts against the housing.

Sounds like what my 96 was doing as my battery slowly died. It actually happened twice, once when my alternator was failing and again a year or so later when the battery was failing. The IAC would act up when I let my foot off the gas, it would sometimes low idle and die.

What you have going on my be unrelated, but it sure sounds familiar. The IAC seemed to want to act up before I ever noticed I had a charging or battery issue.

Cleaning and lubricating the IAC helped, a new battery and a new alternator (on two separate occasions) seemed to solve the IAC issues altogether.

Not a rule but more a tendency, the IAC tends to act up from dirt and grime when cold. The IAC seemed to act up worse when hot, when I had charging or battery issues. My guess is multiple starts and stops ran my battery down a little and the IAC is really voltage sensitive.

Thanks everyone. I am hoping this guy accepts my offer. He was saying $4,500 for it in its current condition, but I felt that was a bit too high.

The XJ is the BASE model. Like no frills. No roof rack, power locks, power windows...not even a tape deck! Mismatched tires (front tires match and back tires match). Front driver door was kinda tough to close as well.

I am hoping he wants to take the cash and get something of his choice.

1500-2k in its current condition

I buy so many rigs of CL. you get idiots out there who think their rig is some sort of diamond in the rough or some special unique snow flake. Dont let their sentimental value or lack of understanding of the jeep market raise the price of a rig .

I understand trying to be devoid of sentimental attachment. I imagine the seller has that going on a little due to the Jeep having belonged to his grandpa. I still think it would be a good Jeep if I could get it for the right price. However, his price and the "right" price are probably two very different things.

What would be the max someone who is looking for a Jeep should pay given the problems it has, the condition it is in and the fact that it is the lowest on the trim/options package?

http://pbr792.photobucket.com/album...LOVBE67p_600x450_zpsec7eb54b.jpg?t=1380395269
http://pbr792.photobucket.com/album...HrkGMdDB_600x450_zps57d1b74a.jpg?t=1380395293
http://pbr792.photobucket.com/album...0oOcgQQ6_600x450_zps2f26417d.jpg?t=1380395319

Back