• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Don't put off fixing exhaust problems...

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
This was a known issue for quite a while, but I decided to put it off...

And now it's a little more serious.

muffler1.jpg

muffler2.jpg

The black soot-looking stuff on the muffler is actually powderized rubber from the boot.

New boots are on the way from Tom Woods, so it's not the end of the world... Now I just need to go ahead and invest in the full exhaust system overhaul. And a new transmission crossmember (which will be made far easier by the arrival of my new Hypertherm tomorrow - woot!).

But yeah. Periodically check your muffler if you've got a booted rear driveshaft.

Could have been worse.

On my buds 88' the hole happened at the top of the muffler.

The exhaust ate though the floor, carpet, and was a good ways though his 2-way that was mounted under the rear seat.

-Ron

Last edited:
I had my rear hangers break, which caused my rusty exhaust to sag way down and my 02 wiring caught on the driveshaft and tore the 02 bung out of my cat. That was a fun morning...

Jesus - I'm pretty happy mine was just interference and the loss of a boot. Tom Woods only wants $10/ea for them so I ordered a spare.

Now the fun comes in piecing together the new exhaust system... Headers designed for the 0630 head will fit the 0331 head, correct? From what I understand, the exhaust ports on the 0331 are simply smaller but line up with the 99-down manifolds/headers.

My exhaust replacement was as easy as a hi-flow cat, magnaflow bullet muffler and a bit of 2.5" piping with a turn down. Weld together and clamp to midpipe.

I let an exhaust leak on the ZJ go for too long once. After stopping for gas I got back on I-81. Just as I was accelerating I heard this awful noise. The tail pipe dislocated from the cat converter. Got it rigged back up and drove it like that for another t2o weeks until I replaced the cat.

My exhaust replacement was as easy as a hi-flow cat, magnaflow bullet muffler and a bit of 2.5" piping with a turn down. Weld together and clamp to midpipe.
I'm about to go pick up a bunch of 2.5" elbows and start piecing things together. I ordered a Spintech low-profile muffler (thanks to frijolee for making me aware they existed) and am working out the rest of the plan... My exhaust manifold is also cracked somewhere, so I'm still trying to decide if I want to repair or upgrade. Magnaflow's universal cats look like good options.

anthrax, any more pics of your Jeep? I have the moab wheels too...what tire size are you running and brand? Thanks
More pics are in my rarely-updated build thread. The tires are 245/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs (which desperately need to be replaced). Torn between stepping up to 265 Duratracs or going with some pizza-cutter 33 inch KM2s (255/85R16 IIRC) since I need to re-gear anyway.

Back