• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering suspension

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question, but a little scenario:
I'm running HD offroad shackle relocation brackets with a 1" shackle. The suspension is too tall (7"?) so I want to start simple to lower it. Thinking of replacing the lift shackle for stock shackles & keep the brackets.

Question is: will the reloc brackets help to keep the stock shackles from binding & restricting articulation? Will I be able to maintain a 45 deg angle with the little shackles?

If someone has another suggestion, post up please.

A short shackle will most likely contact the relocation bracket under compression. You could notch the bracket for clearance, but I would rather remove a leaf from the pack if it were me.

well how much shorter do you want to go? What leaves are you running? What is your front setup? whats the static ride height length on your shocks, compressed and fully extended lengths? if you drop it signifcantly you might need new shocks. How is your driveline angle? SYE? Running Shims? Blocks? taller perches?

So you are probably running 5.5" , maybe 6.5" leaves that have sagged over time ? about .5" from relocation, 1" from shackle?

Probably have an SYE at 7", with some shims probably. all of that might change if you drop to , say 5" .

option 1. Ditch the relocation boxes, and lose around 1/2" to 3/4", might not net as much loss due to a straight up and down shackle. +100$ for selling boxes

option 2. buy 3.5" RE leaves from a vendor, drop about 2" from your tall leaves in the rear , keep shackles and relocation brackets, if still too tall, go down to around 4.5" by removing relocation brackets. sell your old leaves, and probably only -100$ net.

option 3. build a bastard pack with a dodge van main leaves, and 1.5" boomerangs, ditch the relocation brackets and 1" shackle and current packs.

so many more options than just those three. do some searching.

Don't trim the relocation brackets and use stock shackle, it will contact the "frame" and could invert. I would run it for a while and see if it settles or get a 3.5 pack. I have had bad luck removing leaves, but that is an option.

How much lift are you trying to loose. Relocation brackets add about an inch. Your running a 1" shackle. If you loose both you'll still be at 5". And it also wont flex worth a damn and ride like crap. If your looking to be around 5 or less you need to look at a different leaf pack.

The shackle and relocators are there to help flex and ride so your only real option is leaf pack.

Don't trim the relocation brackets and use stock shackle, it will contact the "frame" and could invert. I would run it for a while and see if it settles or get a 3.5 pack. I have had bad luck removing leaves, but that is an option.

Mine sure doesn't :dunno:

Blondejon, my suspension is set up for 5.5". I originally had that but it sagged undr the weight. Sold the leafs, got some defective 4.5 which sagged after 2 runs. The manufacturer sent me their 6.5 saying that my xj was too heavy, so the 6.5 would sag & get me to where I needed to be. But they didn't.

Got rid of those, and now running RE 4.5 which left my suspension height unchanged from the 6.5. I was not pleased. So here I am. Not looking to do any more trial & error, I just want my ride at 5.5 so the rest of the components won't be stretched to their limits anymore. The jeep is getting electrical work done & I'm planning for her return home. The RE leafs are basically new, and I imagine they'll sag, but my use of the xj is so infrequent that it'll take a long time. Might sound crazy to some, but I'm willing to give up the new leafs for some broken in 5" leafs. RC not an option.

I would simply get a set of stock leafs, cut the ends off of the long leaf. Pull a leaf from the pack you have now and replace it with a stock long leaf. You will have more support for running a long shackle, but it just wont have the arch that the aftermarket leafs do.....Its a pain in the ass but ive done it many times no problem....

What components are stretched to the limit by an extra 1"~2" of lift? I'm all for lowering it to whatever height you like, but that statement concerns me. I'd be worried if things like brake lines or shocks were stretched to the limit by such a small difference in height?

If your really at 6.5 then your only an inch higher. Throw some 50lbs concrete bags in the back and break in leafs that way. Do you have a lot of armor and tire in the back now? Not seeing how you could destroy three leaf packs in such a short time unless your shackle setup was wrong. Or you really were too heavy.

if you just got the leaves they will settle like crazy after a 100 miles, maybe less maybe more of driving. one wheeling trip full of gear and I bet they will settle.
I have tons of weight in the back at all times and have crap shackle angle. still on a set of rust's 3.5" leaves that came with the jeep. have had the jeep 7 years. the leaves where at least 3 years old when i got the rig. Of course, now i have 3 or 4 extra stock leaves in the packs with a 1.5" shackle to maybe net 5" of lift in the rear, maybe 5.5, dont really know. and its runnable with all my tools(always at least 100 lbs of tools) , spares(tons of spare parts, drivesahfts, axle shafts, alternaotr, water pump, power steering pump, steering, and so much more...) and tire bumper with a 36" irok on a rim, coolers, tons of camping gear, . I have no idea how you are killing leaves but you have to be heavy in back or have bad luck, I also have a cage and other crap to make me even heavier. Or you have crap rear shocks,

or you beat the living snot out of your rig.

If your really at 6.5 then your only an inch higher. Throw some 50lbs concrete bags in the back and break in leafs that way. Do you have a lot of armor and tire in the back now? Not seeing how you could destroy three leaf packs in such a short time unless your shackle setup was wrong. Or you really were too heavy.
I didn't destroy anything. The OME leafs were about 6 years old and sagged to 4" under the weight of my jeep. They popped up to the correct height when I sold them to a friend with a stock weight XJ. 5". The other leaf pack was junk because in order to get 4.5" the manuf. removed a leaf from a 6.5" pack. You might have seen my thread about this. The 6.5" pack they sent me in exchange was just too tall for me and I really don't use the jeep enough to force sag. These RE leafs are "new", barely driven on, never wheeled. They are just too damn tall. I am actually at about 7" all told.I have bumpers, armor, rack and an ungodly heavy ABS plastic box in the trunk, loaded, plus spare axles, drive shaft & so on. I admit, they prolly haven't had an opportunity to settle, but I think my shocks & maybe the SYE are at their limit. I'm running OME long-travel shocks. I also suspect that my steering could be affected.

Before I started swapping leafs the jeep was set up for 5.5 and only leafs were changed.

Blondejon based on what you say, I sippose I could wait to see if they do settle, but for now (well, when the electrical work is done anyway), I don't enjoy driving my Jeep. Plus how could I forget .... wheeling rocks at that height for me is way too unstable. Too tippy. Rather lower it.

For that matter 5.5" + short arms = crappy ride. If you are looking at 5.5" inches you need to be running a 3.5" hd pack max. Probably more like 3". Just saying. If your that heavy then they just need time to settle. I have read a lot of threads talking about re lift heights being under rated at first but they do settle.

There is no way removing a leaf will help you because you have all that weight. That's just going to lower your spring rate and destroy the leafs.

I agree. That's what the problem was with that other 4.5 pack I had before. It was originally a 6.5, the manuf. removed a leaf & sold the pack as 4.5" and it failed very quickly.

Back