• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix emissions light.

90Blue_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 Renix era XJ which has for years had the mechanical timer removed. It went a few years without the light on, but now the light stays on. I have changed the O2 sensor and now I am stumped. No relay and new Bosch sensor and still remains on. Any ideas?

can you post a pic of this light? i have never heard of it. where is the "mechanical timer"? sorry i have not helped your issue, just curious of what it is.

The Renix light is run by a one time timer under the dash, should be about in the right knee area.

Just unplug it and throw it away. It has no impact on the vehicle at all--other than tripping that stupid light every 60k miles.

Don't have a picture to post up--small, rectangular plastic box. Pretty easy to locate.

joe is correct it looks like a relay in a clear plastic box. Mine has been gone for years but the light came on recently and I don't know how to get it off. That was the purpose of my post.
I know I can pull the bulb but I want to know what triggered it without the timer/relay thing.

joe is correct it looks like a relay in a clear plastic box. Mine has been gone for years but the light came on recently and I don't know how to get it off. That was the purpose of my post.
I know I can pull the bulb but I want to know what triggered it without the timer/relay thing.

Ok--got you.

Can't remember if the timer provides a ground to the light--I think it does but I don't have my manual with me.

Done any under dash work lately where you might have pinched the timer wire, closing the circuit?

Can always remove the bulb if you cannot figure out what else is "wrong"

No joe no underdash work for years, in fact the removal of that relay/timer was the last thing done under there.

I know I can remove the bulb but that will not tell me what triggered it.

No joe no underdash work for years, in fact the removal of that relay/timer was the last thing done under there.

I know I can remove the bulb but that will not tell me what triggered it.

Seems like the only one that can answer your question is you since you have access to the vehicle and the forum does not. Not trying to be an ass but since it does come very natural to me so I will apologize now. :)

I can understand your curiosity as to why it is coming on but that may be far more effort than it is worth. Unless you got rodent damage or water intrusion then just pull the bulb and move on with life.

I may just have to do that Bryan but I wanted to see if any of the experts had an answer first.

Reach under the dash to grab the timer wiring harness and make sure it isn't shorting on anything. Where I think Joe was going is that since the light is triggered by the timer and doesn't so any diags, the issue is that the light is being triggered by some kind of short. A big bump or a hard stop could have bounced the connector onto a ground point and if the light was a negative trigger, this is all it would take to turn it on

Back