• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you remove a transmission pump?

SanDiegoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm so baffled! I've got all the bolts out, the pump moves like an 1/8th of an inch in and out, but just won't come the rest of the way.

Is there something attached I don't know about? Am I missing a step?

The instructions say use a puller, but all the videos I see of other trannys say just give a good yank and she'll come.

mine seems to be a little frigid though. =(

when i run into problems like this that I don't have or cant afford the correct tool for, I take it somewhere. I'm sure a transmission shop would pop the pump out for you if you took the trans to them, i doubt they'd charge much if anything.

Ok, so I got pissed, drank a couple beers, went down and gave it another yank, and off it popped.

I got a rebuilt pump from Makco, and in the process of pulling the old pump, I realized the leak was actually from the housing seal. I swapped the reaction shaft seals over to the new pump because I can't even get those from dealer (looks like I need an entire rebuild kit),it had a new front seal already, and I bought a new pump housing seal from napa, part ATP 1-3253.

I went to put it on and realized it's not a round O-Ring like the original, it's its a flat O-Ring. If I line it up so that it lays flat, it looks like it's sitting below the edge of the surface, so I flipped it so it was laying on the thin side with the thick side vertical....now it won't fit back in the tranny.

What do I do? Did I get the wrong part from napa?

Unfortunately, I think I tossed my old O ring already.

Ok, so it seems the overdrive clutch separated a bit when I pulled the pump off initially. I yanked the bell housing off to get a better look, and realized there was almost an inch gap. After two hours of swearing, I got it reassembled, now I just have to get it back in the jeep.

Of course, I'm thinking of pulling it apart one more time and putting it back together when I'm not so tired and frustrated.

Back