• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about the Siskiyou Mtns

the_weirdo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm trying to plan my travel back to CA from Seattle for Xmas. Its gonna cost me $2750 to fly to San Jose for a week at Xmas. I can drive down for $700. Only issue is getting over the Siskiyou Mtns. Do they shut down the pass for days at a time or is it only when the weather is terrible? Do they make you put chains on a 4x4 - in CA despite what the law says, you don't need chains on a 4x4, they shut the road down if it gets that bad.

No, Yes, Yes They do close the pass down when weather is really bad. The GF's sister was stuck on 5 for a couple of days a few years back. Also when it snow up there I've seen people stop and block 5 to put chains on.

You are required to carry chains. And if you don't put them on I'm pretty sure you can be fined. We had to put them.on my moms Prius a few years back I'm convinced that's why the dash rattles to this day. I drove for 4 miles then said screw it and took them off. I didnt get a ticket nor did I care.

Good luck Josh hope this helps.

I had some family members that got stuck up there last year (I think it was last year anyway), I don't know if they had totally closed the road, or if their BMW just couldn't make it through the snow... at any rate I'd carry chains just to avoid getting a ticket, I hear they do actively check if people are carrying them...

I would not hesitate to plan a Road trip in a Capable Jeep south on I5 in December

In Both states, The law is Chains OR traction tires.. Most of Today's A/T-M/T tires fall into the Traction Tire category, I know all 12 of mine do..

Chains Are however, Required for Winter Highway Cloggers such as The Prius.

And yes. I have seen the Siskiyou's be shut down for Day's, Typically its later in the season, But December DOES fall into the Winter season.. Weirder things have happened..

:cheers:

Prius does just fine in the snow,but I know how to drive it though. I however grew up in a state that had snow pretty regularly. Thats why I took the cables off because I know how to drive without them, unlike most people.

Thanks all. I'd be taking my 4x4 Suburban. Trying to decide if I should risk them closing down the pass and having a pissed off wife and kids, and trying to save $2k. Will probably end up flying.

its a way longer rout, but you could always look at taking 101 down. it is very scenic. My Cousins live in sanjose, I don't think we have ever ran into a problem driving down or up for the holidays. like scott said "Weirder things have happened" but if your in a 4x4 burb. I wouldn't worry about it. just make a good "trip check" through the dot(S) websites before you leave and you should be fine. and take chains.

GL josh
Bronze.

Thanks all. I'd be taking my 4x4 Suburban. Trying to decide if I should risk them closing down the pass and having a pissed off wife and kids, and trying to save $2k. Will probably end up flying.

I've driven down from Bremerton to the Bay Area every year around christmas, and back, for the past 5, and never had to chain up.

Always drove the 4x4 cummins turbo diesel, never even had snow on the road. Always carried chains, never needed them.

YMMV, but I'd say drive it.

If you get to Grants Pass or Central Point, and the roads are closed, get a hotel, you're already 8 hours into the drive at that point anyhow, and only 6 or so more from SJ from there, so its a good stopping point anyhow. They'll plow and open it during the day.

Throw 2 shovels in the back, just incase. :cheers:

We decided we're going to drive it this year and see how it goes. We always stop in the Medford/Grants Pass area because the kids can't do more than 8 hours.

I don't remember the last time I-5 was closed at Xmas time.

Seen it rarely happen in November and earlier in December, but mostly January and early February.

Been in Grants Pass since 85.

Let me expand a little--BIL and SIL live here, her parents in Redding, CA, they do Xmas eve with the rest of the extended family in GP, then run down to Redding for Xmas with her folks. They haven't been stuck once.

As to chains versus snow tires--if your tires have the snowflake symbol, they MAY let you go over without chains depending on how bad it is.

Last edited:
Josh, it doesn't happen very often as far as closure. Totally do-able driving tho.

Back