• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake leak

JeepNovice

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed that when I hit brakes there's brake fluid come it out from some where. I checked lines n they appear to be fine it looks like its coming from master cylinder. Does that mean I have to replace it? If so how?

A leak in any brake line, component or fitting is something to fix immediately. If it were me I would not drive it until I located the source of the leak and fixed it. Not something to put off until the weekend. Simple as that.

Have someone start the engine and step on the brakes while you are under the hood or under the Jeep looking for a leak. Could be a loose line, a busted line or ??.

If you are driving it like this and you need to hit the brakes...you may not have any. Resulting in injury or death of you and/or others, and entirely your fault. Just sayin'.

A leak in any brake line, component or fitting is something to fix immediately. If it were me I would not drive it until I located the source of the leak and fixed it. Not something to put off until the weekend. Simple as that.

Have someone start the engine and step on the brakes while you are under the hood or under the Jeep looking for a leak. Could be a loose line, a busted line or ??.

If you are driving it like this and you need to hit the brakes...you may not have any. Resulting in injury or death of you and/or others, and entirely your fault. Just sayin'.

Agree. Pascal's law is not to be messed with. Find the leak(s) and fix them/it.

If you're actually losing fluid, it's going somewhere. Do not guess on this, find it, as everyone else says.

Since it's a dual reservoir, start by finding which end is losing it. The small reservoir goes to the rear brakes, the large to the front. Check rear slave cylinders if it's the rear that's going low. If it's losing both equally, look to the master cylinder itself, and check for fluid in the booster from a bad rear seal. If the brakes are behaving badly but no fluid is lost, it probably is an internal master cylinder leak from worn piston cups (new MC called for).

No guesswork here. If you see fluid escaping, be specific where it is.

Back