• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

220v plug ins

bmikes

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I need some help from people who have more experience with 220 volt tools. I have a nema l6-30 turn lock style receptical in my garage and so that's what my welder, compressor, And plasma cutter are wired up for.

When the work party was at my place though Specfab was there and his plasma cutter had a different plug in type on it, and I'd like to get a consensus of what types of plug ins come standard on welders and stuff like that so I can make an adapter chord to go from my plug in to another style

This is what Specfab uses, pretty standard 50 amp plug.
20130915_202248_zps61a71633.jpg

This is what Specfab uses, pretty standard 50 amp plug.
20130915_202248_zps61a71633.jpg

That's the same as the one installed in my shop from the previous owner. My used welder came with something different. So I just hard wired it straight to the breaker.
I think that's just a standard household 220v plug for a dryer or range.

Range plugs are angled not straight up and down as are the ones used in older homes for dryers. newer homes are four prong on the dryer for new codes the staight up and down pronged plug is an industrial 50amp

I use the standard Nema 6-50 (as pictured above) witch is what Most welders come with

Range plugs are angled not straight up and down as are the ones used in older homes for dryers. newer homes are four prong on the dryer for new codes the staight up and down pronged plug is an industrial 50amp

This plug?
7u5ynypy.jpg

The shop where I work has all there welders setup for it.

ya it does there are to many plugs for the same damn thing
and it would be nice if wrenches came in small med and large why are there so many sizes LOL

Is that 16- 30 a 30 amp plug ?
The amp rating is 1 reason there is so many different plug styles, a 30 amp rated plug has a different prong layout than a 40 or 50 . You need to know what amp rating the equipment is that your pluging in ,don`t use a 30 amp plug on a 50 amp machine .

That's true, I hadn't even thought of the amperage.. Specfab said his machine is a 50a, so that wouldn't work in my garage anyway cause my wall reciprocal and wiring is only for 30a. Good catch man!

The other side of this is that someone could have thrown in a 40 or 50 amp plate, but the breaker in the box is only 30.
I've seen some odd stuff in garages over the years.

The other side of this is that someone could have thrown in a 40 or 50 amp plate, but the breaker in the box is only 30.
I've seen some odd stuff in garages over the years.

Hey maybe sometime if you get free time you could help me clean up the wiring in my garage?

I much prefer locking style plugs to the straight pronged ones.

There are 50 amp versions available.

Make sure your wiring is adequate, if it is, swap the breaker over and wire yourself a new plug rated for what you need.

Back