• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jacobs Electronic ignition question

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My neighbor, who use to also be big into XJ's, brought a Jacobs Electronic ignition to me today and wants me to buy it. It fits the Jeep 4.0 but I'm unsure of what years(I'm hoping it fits RENIX)

It is new in the box. Part number 372418

Here are some pics;
0915131233.jpg

0915131232.jpg

0915131231.jpg

Google the part number ,there used to be a big hype about them but they had different types for different years.....

Id think they would still be popular if they were worth a crap.....i had their sparkplug wires and they didnt last very long....the box itself was a few hundred dollars new IIRC

Google the part number ,there used to be a big hype about them but they had different types for different years.....

Id think they would still be popular if they were worth a crap.....i had their sparkplug wires and they didnt last very long....the box itself was a few hundred dollars new IIRC

I googled, found nothing but ebay adds.

I have similar Jacobs Ignition system installed on the modified MPI 4.6L stroker motor in my '83 Scrambler...Fits the '95 and earlier based 4.0L engines, and can easily be modified and used on the '96-99 4.0L w/ a distributor. I like the system in my Scrambler...

I have similar Jacobs Ignition system installed on the modified MPI 4.6L stroker motor in my '83 Scrambler...Fits the '95 and earlier based 4.0L engines, and can easily be modified and used on the '96-99 4.0L w/ a distributor. I like the system in my Scrambler...

Will it work with my RENIX?

Should work with renix. If it is a good price, worst case you resell it.

Should work with renix. If it is a good price, worst case you resell it.

He wants $100 for it. It is complete but I do not see the install instructions.

I have 90 that is my DD that is 100% a street Jeep with performance mods. Don't know if this would help it run better since it runs awesome anyway. The coil would make the biggest difference most likely.

Do I keep the original ignition module under the original coil or is that no longer needed with this kit?

http://www.jacobselectronics.com.au/index.html

They seem to be somewhat active in OZ, but that part number isn't listed. Maybe they could help you with instructions.

I don't know if you can use the coil from the Jacobs with a Renix--seems to me that NOBODY makes a HP coil replacement for the Renix.

Last edited:
http://www.jacobselectronics.com.au/index.html

They seem to be somewhat active in OZ, but that part number isn't listed. Maybe they could help you with instructions.

I don't know if you can use the coil from the Jacobs with a Renix--seems to me that NOBODY makes a HP coil replacement for the Renix.

The RENIX coil sits in a cradle on top of the module. I have read somewhere you can splice in connectors and move the coil where needed.

Don't need it, it won't do anything the stock system isn't already doing. The Renix coil puts out more then enough and it already a high powered unit. If you want a upgrade run the magnecor plug wires.

Back