• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No parking running or dash lights

Jon1911

NAXJA Forum User
92 jeep cherokee

Well I've been poking around on various forums for the last month and can't find anything that seems to work. Currently I have a switch running from my battery to one of my marker lights so I have running lights.

My headlights work but I'm having trouble with my park/running lights. Starting from the off position and pull the switch half way before it engages there is a sweet spot that the parking/running lights come on, but when its pulled all the way to where it clicks into place the parking lights shut off. Then again when i get halfway to the headlight ON position there is another sweet spot and the running lights come on but when the switch gets closer to the ON position the running lights turn off pulling further to the ON position the headlights will come one but the running lights dont come on.

I've checked all of my fuses under the dash and the fuses in the power distribution box under the hood. This is my 3rd switch with the same issue. I've read that somewhere able to fix this issue with a stealership part but, I would rather not drop that much dough and it not be the switch. Is there a way to test it with a multimeter? I'm not really sure of where to begin looking for possible loose grounds. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've had trouble getting the headlight knob rod all the way in on a couple of switch replacements. There are multiple switches in there and the dimmer at the very end and the rod is square. Getting everything aligned and the rod *all the way in*, may take some twisting and multiple attempts.

Try pushing up on the rod locking button and twisting while you push. It may take a significant amount of force. I've even held my breath, hoped for the best and slapped the end of the knob pretty darned hard a couple of times to get it seated all the way in. I always got away with it, but kind of expected the dimmer mechanism to break.

Back