• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slightly to the side axle, how to center the axle?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I noticed coming back from a wheeling/camping trip that my track bar(rugged ridge double shear) had came a bit loose so I tightened it up but then noticed my axle was shifted to the passenger side more than the driver side. When I got the track bar the first time, I had been informed if I pushed the front of the jeep up and down that the suspension will align itself to center. We had done this, installed the track bar and it was good and centered. Now as I try this same trick, it will not move to center. My axle stays sticking further out the passenger side than the driver. I've heard thatching the axle over can work but I've also heard if the axle has to be ratcheted then something is wrong. What do I do then? Every joint seems to be alright, no large amount of play or looseness.
97'/3" lift/zj tie rod/rugged ridge double shear track bar/ 31"/Yj steering box.
Everything else is stock

Lol I figured that, but I'm curious as to why my axle won't center itself, I'm worried if I have to force the axle over to center it, wouldn't that same force be exerting itself on to the track bar possibly prematurely wearing itself out? I know the track bar gets put through forces everyday but I don't want any unnecessary force if I can stop it.

It's because your coil springs have sagged some. As they sag the axle will shift to the passenger side. Either readjust or add a coil spacer to put it back where it was ride height wise.

My MJ's stock springs are so bagged the axle sits a full inch to the passenger side with a stock tracbar. New (to me) XJ springs are going in to fix that issue, may add a 1" spacer fer giggles as well.

Wow now that you say that, ya my driver side spring is sagging a bit since my wheeling trip. Well I guess I'll either find a pair of 3" coils or get some zj coils like I have already on it.

Back