• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 problems... Cuts out power

bmikes

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I need some help on my engine.

Specs:
1993 Xj, 4.0, 5 speed ax-15, 4wd

Problem:
when I first bought the jeep it had a problem cutting out power when id press on the gas. After changing out every sensor under the hood, splicing a new plug in for the tps into the harness, and replacing a few vacuum lines I got it to stop.

Now a over a year later I'm having the same problem. I am getting the engine codes 12, 24, 55. So I know that the compute is saying it's the tps, but I've replaced that and it still says it. It's only happening when I'm in 1st and 2nd gear. I have to be super light on the throttle in order to keep it from sputtering and cutting out power. When I'm in 3rd, 4th, and 5th I can floor it and it won't have any issues. If I try to press hard on the gas in 1st or 2nd it cuts out and wants to die.

Things I've replaced on the engine, or that might be relevant to the problem:
-Tps (I've tried like 5 brand new sensors)
-Spliced in new plug in to the tps
-Crankshaft pos sensor
-coolant temp
-map
-vacuum hose going to the map
-idle air valve/motor thing
-O2 sensor (I only have one)
-catalytic convertor
-fuel pump

I might have done more but that's all I can think of now.

Please please please help!!
Thanks

Check the condition of your distributor cap and rotor. Had a 4.0 come in and the cap and rotor was carbonized like you wouldn't believe!

Replaced the cap and rotor. STILL wanted to c*ap out. Took a closer look in the distributor and it was filthy. Used a whole can of electrical cleaner to flush it out, then blew it dry with compressed air. No more cut out. The c*ap was screwing up the pickup in the distributor.

Check the condition of your distributor cap and rotor. Had a 4.0 come in and the cap and rotor was carbonized like you wouldn't believe!

Replaced the cap and rotor. STILL wanted to c*ap out. Took a closer look in the distributor and it was filthy. Used a whole can of electrical cleaner to flush it out, then blew it dry with compressed air. No more cut out. The c*ap was screwing up the pickup in the distributor.

I replaced those both a while ago when I was doing all the other stuff, but I will check it out. Thanks for that! I never would have thought about it.

When you're talking about electrical cleaner to flush it out, what are you flushing? And did you take the distributor all the way out to clean it?

Left the distributor in the engine, hosed out the inside of the distributor body with the cap and rotor removed to clean everything inside, especially the pickup.

I had all the same issues today with my '92 xj. Planned a trip to Big Bear for some crawling and had a problem with the motor dying on me as soon i came to a stop. Did a fuel filter change at 5am (thanks to local Autozone for being 24hr). Seemed like it was starving for gas but that didnt fix it. Was able to make it through my trip but finally died on the way back and had to tow her home. :eek:(

When i got the XJ off the truck, i turned the key and she stared right up...I just dont get it.

So i did a Throttle Body cleaning and pulled the IAC out and scrubbed it too. Went down to the local junk yard and got a TPS. Truck is running fine and no issues so far. My check engine light was on too and i did a code read off the dash to find the coolant sensor was bad. Replaced it and no more engine light. :cheers:

Back