• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hot start issue in the buggy

Jump This

Just another minion!
After tearing out most of the harness on the rock crawler I'm running into a slow hot start problem. I have no idea if they are connected but....
When I stop it takes a while for it to start again, kinda' like the old Renix start problem but not from slow fuel pressure build up. It smells very rich and runs rough until it cleans out, normally only a short while until it does that.
Anyone have that type of issue?
Suggestions as to where to go from here?

Rick

Not sure what year yours is...but my 96 had a hot start issue that sounds identical. It was the coolant temp sensor. It was giving a false reading causing a rich condition on restart. Fuel pressure, IAC, TPS all checked good when I noticed the electric fan wasn't turning on when it should have. You can check it with a DMM.
I searched here and found a few guys having problems with one of the Napa replacement parts and went with the O'Reilly's part. Problem solved.

I bet that is it. I am running a cooler in the back with a triple fan set up with its own temperature sending unit. Hmmmm......
BTW it is a '96.
I now need to research how to deal with it.

Back