• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rule out 2000+ when buying?

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
so im considering getting back into an XJ and i like the newer styling and theres more limited/classic 2000-2001s than there are the beloved 1999 models. i know the 0331 head issue, but is the prevelant in all 2000-2001s or are they hit and miss? i know a majority of the 2000+ XJs have 120k or more on the odometer.

so what mileage does the head usually go? is it safe to purchase one and not worry about the head failing or is it inevitable?

i loved my 1995, it was so reliable- im just looking for one that has all the creature comforts and i like the newer body style under $5k. thanks for the help gents!

so im considering getting back into an XJ and i like the newer styling and theres more limited/classic 2000-2001s than there are the beloved 1999 models. i know the 0331 head issue, but is the prevelant in all 2000-2001s or are they hit and miss? i know a majority of the 2000+ XJs have 120k or more on the odometer.

so what mileage does the head usually go? is it safe to purchase one and not worry about the head failing or is it inevitable?

i loved my 1995, it was so reliable- im just looking for one that has all the creature comforts and i like the newer body style under $5k. thanks for the help gents!

Besides the head you'll run into the undesirable low-pinion front D30.
I think it's definitely worth looking for the 97-99 range first unless you find a cherry 00-01 that you just have to have.

Another consideration: 00's and 01's had the "upgraded" 4-O2 sensor exhaust system which is more expensive to maintain than the 2-O2 sensor systems in 99 and down... Someone correct me if I'm wrong... :smoker:

2001 here with 172k. I have had to replace all 3 cats and 4 O2's. Not fun or cheap!!

That said, I have blown a rad hose and overheated the engine, I currently have the heat soak induced misfire (I think due to the extra cats. Currently wiring in an Elk-960 timer...). No head crack yet though! I've been impressed. Will be doing the head swap after I am done with some suspension/drivability work.

If I had to do it again I would definitely go pre-2000. Search search search!! Good luck.

IF you can find a 00 with FEDERAL (49 states) emissions, then the only downside is the LP D30, and that may be something you can live with.

I would AVOID any 00 and 01 with the 50 state emissions package.

The 98-99s are about as good as the XJ ever got. IMHO. As I drive my 90 Renix.

The 98-99s are about as good as the XJ ever got. IMHO.

98-99 best years in my opinion too. I'd stay away from the 00-01.

That 0331 head which came on every 00-01 XJ is a dog. Pure and simple. Will all of these heads crack? NO. But plenty of them will and I'm not willing to take the chance when there are plenty of years of XJs that don't have that head. That head cracks and you don't catch it quickly and the engine is a boat anchor.

I have an 00, but if must be a 49 state one. I do not have 4 O2's or the precats thank God.

I do think mine did have the cracked head or blown head gasket at least...one way or another it took out my bearings, led to rod knock and popped a hole in the engine.... had I known better I would've went 99 or earlier...

All in all the 2000's aren't too bad... if you find a deal, just keep an eye on the coolant level and make sure its not a pre cat model.

I have a 2001 with the dreaded LP Dana 30, Mini Cats, 0331 head, etc. I'm at 244,500 miles with no problems from any of the 'problematic' parts.

I say you operate with some common sense and a little discretion and you'll be fine.

They '99 has some good advantages, but the '00-01 models aren't the turds they seem on the web.

My 2000 has 131k on it,49 state emissions and no problems. I knew about the head issue prior to buying mine but I opted for the cop over the distributor, the lp30 doesnt bother me, but idont wheel it hard

The only reason I would avoid a 2000+ model with California emissions is if I lived in California or planned on moving to California. The catalytic converter unit at the exhaust manifold is pretty much an expensive dealer only item. The only listing I can find online is $1,365. The LJ setup was listed around $800 and at the time I replaced mine the only aftermarket replacement was not legal in California.

So... Glad I am never moving to California!

The only reason I would avoid a 2000+ model with California emissions is if I lived in California or planned on moving to California. The catalytic converter unit at the exhaust manifold is pretty much an expensive dealer only item. The only listing I can find online is $1,365. The LJ setup was listed around $800 and at the time I replaced mine the only aftermarket replacement was not legal in California.

So... Glad I am never moving to California!

Not true at all, you can find them on Rock Auto for a couple hundred dollars.

Not true at all, you can find them on Rock Auto for a couple hundred dollars.

NOTE the CALIFORNIA in his post--it has to be CARB approved, and that limits your options and raises the price.

Awww. Cut it out guys. I like my 2000. = (

She's been good to me.

So far.

But, then again, she's only got 60,000 on her now, so if her head's gonna crack odds are it'll be any day.

My 2000 has 121,500 on it and hasn't cracked yet. I check it weekly.

Next summer I'll replace the radiator and hoses so I'll have a 100% newish cooling system.

Knock on wood.

Yea I have 140,000 K and this has been the best car ever. 13 years strong and she hasnt had a problem except for 1 o2 sensor going out.

I'd buy a 99 before a 00 given them being in the same condition... a rust free, straight chassis trumps all though.

00 federal emissions is pretty easy to swap to a 99- head/exhaust without getting a CEL or having any real problems, since they have the same old o2 sensor setup and no precats, you just bolt on the earlier parts and do a little basic exhaust work to connect the older manifold/downpipe to the cat. Cali emissions ones and 01s are annoying from my impression though.

Still I'd take a clean straight 00/01 before I'd get a rotten 99/98.

The LP d30 is annoying but it's a $130 problem at the junkyard, maximum, at least around here. Buy HP d30, bolt in (I've done em in as little as 2-3 hours with assistance and practice) and forget it ever happened.

Awww. Cut it out guys. I like my 2000. = (

She's been good to me.

So far.

But, then again, she's only got 60,000 on her now, so if her head's gonna crack odds are it'll be any day.
I owned two 2000 XJs and both ran great. The first one I bought in 2003 with 50k miles, and drove it for 5 years and put 80k additional miles on it. Never had a problem.
Although I bought it in CA, it was originally from the Northeast, so it probably didn't have the CA-emissions package.... but it did come with a ton of surface rust on the undercarriage. :soapbox:

So...from what I've seen you can replace the head, and the axel? Im not super "mechanically savvy" yet, but I just bought a 2000 with 125K, not knowing about these "issues". Would def like some info. Thanks!

Back