• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering knuckles

dcampbell98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently replaced my brake pads and rotors. Today while driving I was getting a horrible grinding for my passenger side. Everything seems to be okay except the steering knuckle has a chunk missing where the pads sit. I searched and found it can cause the pads to hang up and cause similar results I felt and hurt. Only remedy I found was to heat and weld the knuckle to fill the chunk missing. Without having access to a welder that is difficult for me. Are any aftermarket knuckles of same quality or better then OEM? Or is my best bet to hit the pick n pull and grab some knuckles. Which I could afford to do the gc upgrade or vanco big brake kit.

Ever spend any time in central or northeastern mass? I live in Southbridge and work in Woburn, I can do the welding for you in like 30 seconds if you bring em by, then just file them back down till it's flat/square again. Did exactly that on my DD's knuckles a few weeks ago for the same reason.

Also, Sams pull a part in worcester would probably sell knuckles for 20-30 each (wild ass guess based on their other prices) if you feel like just getting better ones... but good luck finding XJ knuckles that don't have at least a bit of notching worn into them.

I do have a mig at my job and a torch so I may just have to spend my lunch break messing with the welder. I haven't done much with it just spot welds. I was more curious if I'd be better off trying a pick and pull or spending 180.00 a piece on new knuckles

I sure as hell wouldn't. 180 buys a lot of used knuckles!

I didn't actually bother to preheat... they're cast steel, they mig welded just like a piece of 1018 did for me.

That's what I thought also. I suppose digging through the Junkers is on my to do list hopefully I can find a pair

I would imagine you could find a knuckle here on Naxja or ebay or craigslist for free or for a few bucks.

Back