• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd conversion

rage_blue

NAXJA Forum User
So a friend of mine blew up his engine in his 94 cherokee, then bought a 88 i think, comanche thats 2wheel drive. I wnet over there to pull the tcase from the the XJ and put it in the comanche. But it looks like the tail shaft is differnt on the comache so things arent going to work. We can pull the trans in the XJ but it has the newer computer and the comanche uses the peugot computer. So not sure that will work. other option would be to have the tail shaft changed on the comanche trans. or we could switch all the electronics on the comance to the XJ stuff and swap trans, really dont want to do this. Anyone have any experence here that would be helpfull?

Just finished up a 2WD to 4WD conversion on a 2000 XJ.

We are gonna need a little more info to answer your question. Is the XJ an automatic(I assume so because you mention a computer) is the MJ a stick or auto?

If the MJ is also an auto then it should be an AW4 also, however you will not only have to swap the transfer case over but the transmission as well because the output shaft can not be removed without complete disassembly. As long as the transmission and trasfercase combo that you are using is from a donor between the years of 1987-1996 then it should be 100% bolt in.

Back